Replace ADT

Old 03-14-18, 09:20 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace ADT

I want to replace my ADT system with a DIY Smart home security system. The ADT system was installed when I built the house 9 years ago and is mostly wired. I would like to use those wires and put in a hybrid wire / wireless system that I want to incorporate into other home automation systems. For example, I want all lights turned off when the alarm is set, or something like that.

What are your recommendations to a smart hybrid home security system and what providers do you use to monitor the system?

Thanks
Kurt

Old 03-14-18, 09:12 PM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
There's general consensus among alarm technicians that hardwired sensors are better, and I don't know of a DIY wired-wireless hybrid system---all of them I've seen are wireless-only. One of the other techs here may know of one/some.

One of the advantages of wired sensors is that they're compatible with any control panel that takes hardwired zones; but wireless sensors are brand-specific and changing your control brand will mean having to replace all your wireless devices, including the receiver and keyfobs if you have them.

Chances are good that your current ADT-installed control panel can be upgraded to do all the things you want it to do, without having to replace all your sensors and peripheral devices.

Before I stick my neck out too far making promises, what model number is your control panel? ADT used several different brands and re-labeled them, so saying it's an "ADT" system doesn't tell us what you're working with. Look at the control panel box door (not the keypad) to read the model number.

Old 03-15-18, 04:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
There's a couple of those AIO systems that have transmitters designed to convert hardwired zone inputs to wireless. As I often say, I mostly work in the commercial fire and security world, so it's not stuff I have much occasion to work with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: