Ring Pro Doorbell - Not powering on?!

Old 04-15-18, 01:27 PM
Ring Pro Doorbell - Not powering on?!

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Ring Pro Doorbell but cannot seem to get it working. When i connect the Ring push-button at the front door it does not power on, however the device does work because if i connect it directly to the transformer/fuse box then it does power up. Here's the steps i took:

1. As i'm intalling in a UK Household, i replaced my existing Transformer with the one Ring provided in order to get the required 24v feed to the front door / Ring (in photos attached; the Ring transformer and connection to fuse box and existing Doorbell wiring)

2. As recommended by Ring i bypassed the existing chime bell (as unlikely to handle the 24v feed) as shown in the alligator clips connecting the wires removed from the original chime bell

3. Also attached is a photo of the 2 wires that come out of the wall at the front door

4. Lastly i have taken a photo of the wiring which was not connected to the original chime bell but however was "twisted" together and worked before the Ring installation as part of the loop - i'm wondering whether this could be the reason the Ring isnt booting at the front door

I called Ring and their technical experts say the wiring looks correct, but they deduced that the Ring device is faulty - however i tried it connecting it straight into the top of the Ring transformer (grey box in photo) and it worked.

Does anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot this? I got a quote from an electrician and it was £180 to install so would prefer to try and complete the installation myself if possible.

Thanks.

Attached Images       
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-18, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
I have installed around 15 or so Ring doorbells. All have worked right from the start. I've been called to troubleshoot units connected by homeowners. Those have all needed new Ring units.

They will run fine on 16vac,
As far as I know.... they cannot be connected directly to a transformer. That's what may damage them.
When you connect them directly to a transformer you must use that black module with red leads in series with one wire. That is a ballast resistor for charging.

Old 04-15-18, 02:41 PM
Hi PJmax, thanks for the fast reply.

So are you suggesting from your experience that it's likely that I need a new Ring doorbell unit (Device needs replacing)?

As i mentioned, it does seem to boot when plugged in directly to the Transformer but not when connected to the front door which is making me think its an issue in the wiring going from the Transformer through the bypass connectors to the front door.

According to the Ring manual [screenshot attached] it's ok to connect the Ring direct to the Transformer however this isnt an option for me as would require running new wires so instead i went for the option of using the existing door bell wiring and just disconnecting the existing Chime bell and connecting the two pairs of wires to create the circuit.

Is there anything else I can try or is replacing the Ring device the only likely solution?

European manual here:
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/ar..._English_A.pdf

Attached Images  

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-15-18 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Removed quote
Old 04-15-18, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
If that is the case.... try removing the black charge controller.
Connect the wires directly together.

Old 04-16-18, 02:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looking at your photo of the wiring, you have a pair of wires from the transformer to the original chime location and a pair of wires from the chime location to the door bell switch location. Have you verified that you continuity all the way from the transformer to your point of use?

Old 04-16-18, 11:27 AM
Thanks PJmax Iíll try connecting them directly.

MrRonFL - how do I verify continuity from the Transformer to switch point?

Old 04-16-18, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
I went thru and looked at the pictures again. We see a two wire cable at the transformer, a two wire cable at the button and a two wire cable at the old chime..... but no splices. There must be a place where those three cables are connected together.

Old 04-16-18, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the voltage. I see two pair at the chime. I suspect that one pair is coming from the transformer, and the other pair is coming from the push button location.

Old 04-16-18, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... you are correct. I do see the two cables now.

Old 04-16-18, 03:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have installed a half dozen of these units and it is usually straight forward. Does your door bell simply ring as "ding dong", or does your door ring as a chime with various notes? If it rings as a chime, a diode is needed at the unit. Just trying to help others zero in.

Old 04-17-18, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
Check the voltage. I see two pair at the chime. I suspect that one pair is coming from the transformer, and the other pair is coming from the push button location.
Yes, that's my understanding; which is that at the original chime/bell there are two pairs of wires, which split, one wire of each connects to the original chime and the other wire from each pair connects together. I understand it to be as described in the attached image. To me, if i then connect the "front and transformer" cables (0 and 3] then that would result in no wires connecting to the original chime (as i'd use the wireless one provided by Ring) and both pairs being connected and hence the new transformer connecting through to the two wires which exit at the front door push button location. Is that correct?

Attached Images  
Old 04-17-18, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by czizzi View Post
Have installed a half dozen of these units and it is usually straight forward. Does your door bell simply ring as "ding dong", or does your door ring as a chime with various notes? If it rings as a chime, a diode is needed at the unit. Just trying to help others zero in.
Hi czizzi,

The original bell just rings (like a bicycle bell), no notes / chime or other sound.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-18, 02:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, you have to have a continuous wire path from the transformer to the device you are powering.