Need alarm system with at least 9 partitions...

Old 04-21-18, 09:24 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need alarm system with at least 9 partitions...

Does any one know of a system which offers at least 9 partitions? More would be better, but 9 (plus a common area) is the minimum for a co-working space. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-18, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

9 partitions..... why ?
Are you planning on 9 keypads too ?

Old 04-21-18, 02:11 PM
F
Each partition is a room in a coworking space rented for 3 months to a year at a time. Each space is a band rehearsal room with musical equipment of significant value.

Each member band may be from 1-10 people. I would like to have a system which allows each room to be protected independently of the others, with a common area (lobby, hall, main entrance). Regarding keypads, I would prefer none, or only one, and system controls are done via phone app.

Thanks for you help.

Old 04-21-18, 02:14 PM
F
If my only option is 9 keypads, I would certainly consider that.

Old 04-22-18, 09:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
A partitioned system generally has to have a keypad for each partition; some systems do allow "master" keypads that can control multiple partitions from a single location, but the user interface is generally more complicated.

The Networx panels and some of the higher end Honeywell panels will support up to 8 partitions.

https://www.interlogix.com/intrusion/product/networx

https://www.security.honeywell.com/h...sta/14963.html

It almost sounds like what you are really after is an access control system, many of which have a lot of the features you are after, and have the benefit of physically controlling the locks to the space. Stuff like that isn't really a DIY project, though.

Old 04-22-18, 01:35 PM
F
Thanks MrRon, I agree. An access control system is also way outside of the budget, at least based on a few quotes I've gotten. I can do all the installing stuff, it's the programming that scares me. I don't really need to control the locks though it would be nice.

Do you have a rough idea of costs per door for such a system?

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-22-18, 04:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I would recommend going with the Networx model. The Vista 50 is a powerful system, but the learning curve to configure it for that many partitions is going to be pretty steep (not really a DIY friendly system).

With the Networx, you also have the option of using the downloader software and a direct connect module.

Can't really give you any advice on pricing. I get this stuff from a distributor. You just have to do some shopping and judge the vendors for yourself.

Old 04-23-18, 08:20 AM
F
Thanks! I'll look into Networx.

Old 04-23-18, 08:32 AM
F
What are the benefits of the downloader software and direct connect module?
thanks,

Old 04-23-18, 08:39 AM
F
Sorry for so many questions- the Interlogix web site is not responding.
Can video be integrated with their system?
thanks Ron

Old 04-23-18, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
The downloader software and direct connect are so you can program from a computer instead of having to use the keypad.

For the most part..... video is a stand alone system and doesn't connect with the alarm.

Old 04-23-18, 11:45 AM
F
Thanks Pjmax, that makes sense.

This may be a dumb question, but can any of the panels which provide 8 partitions be paired creating a 16 partition system?
Thanks

Old 04-23-18, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Not that I am aware of............

Old 04-23-18, 01:30 PM
F
Thanks Pete.
Another possibly dumb question- does (can) an access control system also serve as an alarm system? Say I install an access control system, and someone forces the door. Would the system know there was a breach? Or is access control strictly to replace keys, and potentially log movement in and out.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-23-18, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
I've been trying to think how I'd handle this. I do a lot of access control work but not usually with that many partitions. I use predominantly Bosch products and what you want to do could be done but it requires a Bosch dealer to make system changes. You'd want to be able to make changes yourself.

I was looking at a Vista system to see if it did what you wanted.
Security.honeywell.com/documents/K5895V5.pdf

I don't normally deal in those systems.

I'm leaning towards having a dedicated alarm for each unit. Although that doesn't address securing the "house" it would be the easiest to control.

Old 04-23-18, 03:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The networx panels do have an accesss control module that integrates with the intrusion alarm system. Honestly, I've never installed it, usually most installs I work with that need this kind of capacity go way past what these systems can do; but yours sounds to be in that minimal range the this would fit:

https://www.interlogix.com/intrusion...x-smart-reader.

Bear in mind, these systems can handle over 200 user codes, so it's pretty easy to control who can disarm any given partition; but 8 partitions is as big as it really gets, without getting into very expensive software based solutions.

Old 04-24-18, 06:33 AM
F
Hi Pete, regarding dedicated alarm for each- that's what my wife has been saying all along! What would you recommend if I went this way? It's one room, one door. That's it.
Wireless? Wired? Motion? Yet another system on main door?
I think my Alarm Grid account will let all of them be monitored together. I'll check with them on that.
Thanks!
And thanks Mr Ron as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: