I'd like up to 5 exterior hidden cameras that record up to a week hi quality.

Old 05-13-18, 03:26 PM
I'd like up to 5 exterior hidden cameras that record up to a week hi quality.

How does one accomplish least expensively using a cloud if possible. Hmm.. I guess you need a dedicated internet connection.

how about without internet and just some large wardrobes since I only plan on keeping a week (maybe a month?) at a time.

I guess most of the "hidden" options don't offer the ability to save to a large enough care or directly to a hard drive unless you use something connected to a pc or maybe device(android) connected directly to a hard drive??

lot'sof ignorance here lol. Hope someone can easily shed a good amount of light here for me. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-18, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For what you are trying to do, you would be best off using a DVR/NVR to provide your data collection point. It's generally better to have a standalone unit, rather than one running on a computer being used for other things.

Old 05-13-18, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I cant offer any ideas on any specific system but I assume there are mega systems out there that would do what you need to do.

I'll give you some basic, general idea of where I think you are for digital recording.
I can record about 6 hrs on 32 GB.
6 X 4 = 24 hrs per day, which would require 128 GB.

128 GB X 7 days = 896 GB
Therefore you would need 1000 GB data storage. (1000 GB = 1 Terabyte)

In order to be usable (playback), the system would need to record in about 10 minute (maximum) clips. If that is the case, 7 days of clips/videos would result in 1008, 10 minute videos.

Just FYI, my experience is based on general video like a Go Pro, dash cam & basic surveillance systems video... personal use. Commercial systems may be very different, yet will be more expensive I am guessing.

This may not help you but, it may give you something to investigate.

Old 05-14-18, 05:32 AM
Commercial / residential systemscost about $500 to $850 for pre-packaged systems. Thats usually a 1-5 Terrabyte hard drive in the network video recorder (NVR) and 4-8 camers. Cameras are usually POE (power over ethernet) which means you run a single ethernet cable to each camera, the ethernet provides power to the camer, and returns the video signal to the NVR.

Old 05-14-18, 04:31 PM
Wow, thanks. Wasn't expecting all the answers. Will read them over soon as I get back to this...