VISTA-10P/6160 cannot enter programming mode

Old 05-16-18, 06:36 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VISTA-10P/6160 cannot enter programming mode

Hi DIYer,
I just moved in this house last month. There is a VISTA-10P with a 6148 Keypad. I could arm the system without entering any code. The system works fine. However, I cannot disarm the system because I don't have the master code or installer code. I tried the 1234 and 4112. None can work. The only way to disarm the system is to use the 2580 code. And I don't really want to use that code. I learned that 6148 is not a programming keypad. So I purchased a 6160 keypad in order to reset the master code and the installer code. Here is what I did:
1. I replaced the 6148 with 6160. The system is powered off, of course.
2. I turn on the AC power only, change the address to 16.
3. Power cycle again. The 6160 indicates "busy - standby d1". I tried to ignore that message and move forward to press and hold the * and # key at the same time. The keypad feedbacked one beep.
4. After a while, the 'busy - standby d1' message gone. Then indicated the 'comm failure'. Of course. the line is cut by the someone else. No problem. But I still cannot enter the program mode. Once the 'busy - standby' message gone, I cannot press and hold the * and # key because it will turn on the siren....

Here is my question:
1. I don't know the address of that old 6148 keypad. After the 6148 is took out from the system, is that address still in the system? Does it matter? Can I use 16 as the address of new 6160 keypad?
2. Is the programming mode locked out by *98 code? If yes, how to completely reset the system?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-16-18, 08:14 PM
C
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
1) You can always use Address 16 for any keypad, as long as only one keypad is using it. All _other_ addresses (17, 18, 19, etc) must be "enabled" in panel programming before the Vista-10P will recognize the KP.
So if your old 6148 KP had a different address, that address is still enabled in programming, but that does not require a KP with that address to be in the system---it just lets you add another KP to the system if you want. So, no, it doesn't matter unless you're adding a KP.

2) *98 doesn't lock you out of entering programming by the method you're using. It blocks you from using the Installer Code to enter programming. So that's not your problem.

You have 50 seconds from the moment you power-up, to press *# simultaneously and hold until the KP shows you're in panel programming. Program Field 20, will be displayed, unless Keypad Programming has been locked out remotely by a Dealer. That does happen.

If you're trying this within the 50-second time window and it's not working, here's one last method to try:
Power down the panel and get a partner to plug in the AC _while_ you're pressing *# together--in other words, *# is already being pressed when panel wakes up. Sometimes that will put the panel in programming mode.
If you don't have a partner, use a long extension cord (or two) so you can plug in panel power at the KP.

Old 05-17-18, 06:09 PM
S
Originally Posted by ChosunOne View Post
1) You can always use Address 16 for any keypad, as long as only one keypad is using it. All _other_ addresses (17, 18, 19, etc) must be "enabled" in panel programming before the Vista-10P will recognize the KP.
So if your old 6148 KP had a different address, that address is still enabled in programming, but that does not require a KP with that address to be in the system---it just lets you add another KP to the system if you want. So, no, it doesn't matter unless you're adding a KP.

2) *98 doesn't lock you out of entering programming by the method you're using. It blocks you from using the Installer Code to enter programming. So that's not your problem.

You have 50 seconds from the moment you power-up, to press *# simultaneously and hold until the KP shows you're in panel programming. Program Field 20, will be displayed, unless Keypad Programming has been locked out remotely by a Dealer. That does happen.

If you're trying this within the 50-second time window and it's not working, here's one last method to try:
Power down the panel and get a partner to plug in the AC _while_ you're pressing *# together--in other words, *# is already being pressed when panel wakes up. Sometimes that will put the panel in programming mode.
If you don't have a partner, use a long extension cord (or two) so you can plug in panel power at the KP.
Hi ChosunOne,
Thanks for the reply.

I asked my daughter to press and hold the *# key and I went to power on the panel. It is still doing the same thing. Indicating the Busy - Standby D1. And after a couple of minutes, the message became ******disarmed*****ready to arm, comm. failure, etc...

Is there any way to deep reset the system, like refresh the firmware?

Thanks.

Old 05-18-18, 04:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
There is a way for an installer to use the downloading software to completely disable all local programming access; and it looks like that's what your original installer has done. And, no, without their copy of the download software, there's no fix for it.

On the plus side, a new Vista 15p board is generally going to be less than $50.00, and, unless you have a bunch of wireless zones, re-configuring the 6 zones you may have isn't much of a learning curve.

Old 05-18-18, 08:21 PM
S
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
There is a way for an installer to use the downloading software to completely disable all local programming access; and it looks like that's what your original installer has done. And, no, without their copy of the download software, there's no fix for it.

On the plus side, a new Vista 15p board is generally going to be less than $50.00, and, unless you have a bunch of wireless zones, re-configuring the 6 zones you may have isn't much of a learning curve.
So sad!
I searched the eBay and found a used 15p v9.12, which costs less than $30. I ordered it just now. I don't have wireless devices. Should be easy to configure six zones.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: