Vista V20 programming question about *97, the Reset Factory Defaults command.

Old 05-19-18, 12:21 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista V20 programming question about *97, the Reset Factory Defaults command.

I recently started programming a V20 system and successfully installed a 5800 wireless PIR and a 5816 wireless door/window sensor, and they worked when I did the Walk Test. After that I began installing a key fob, and I think it was then that I got off the correct correct step. (I didn't know that I should keep hitting * to get out) So, in case I did something problematic I did a *97 factory reset. After that I started to reinstall the 5800 in zone 09 and the first descriptor showed 09 04 1 10 (all okay) but then "UR:1s" for the input device and loop. I continued and when I got to "Input Type" I entered 04 but the next descriptor said Unsup. RF. After another *97 the same thing occurred. What happened? I think Unsup rf means unsupported RF.
Any suggestions, and do I need to abandon Zone Locations which give me unexpected results? Did I hose up the PCB?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-18, 07:46 AM
C
Received 29 Votes on 28 Posts
I don't think you can hose up the physical PCB with programming, but you _can_ hose up the programming badly enough that you may have to enter a *97 and start over from scratch. I usually try to discourage DIYers from hitting *97 and starting over from scratch every time they hit a snag in programming. However, if you've futzed around with Zone 9 entries, *97 and a fresh start might be the safest course.

Assuming you gave us the correct model number, i.e., Vista-20 and NOT Vista-20P: Zone 9 is reserved in FIRMWARE for RF Supervision (That's right there in the Installation Manual) and CANNOT be programmed for any other kind of zone. (Unfortunately Zone 9 does show up in programming and that's a design flaw--don't try to change it, results are unpredictable, except that will get an Unsupervised RF error.

So you must start your first Expansion Zone at Zone 10, whether it's RF (wireless) or hardwired expansion zones. Leave Zone 9 alone (at default settings) in programming.

Old 05-19-18, 05:05 PM
J
Thanks you ChosunOne, and it is a Vista-20P 10.23. Late last night I tried installing the 5800pir in zone 15 and everything was going well except when I entered the device serial number it beeped and I was stuck there.... * 99 an just * did nothing. I think it saved the serial number and complained when it came up again. This programming is tricky and challenging.

Old 05-19-18, 08:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
No, you were misreading the descriptor. Input type 4 is "Unsupervised RF" Transmitter. It's intended for transmitters that are allowed to be removed from range of the transmitter. The correct setting for something like a PIR is 3 (supervised RF transmitter).

Assuming that you do have a Vista 20p; it would have worked on zone 9 as configured, but if the batteries were removed or failed, for example, the system would never know that the device was offline.

Yes, as long as you have the transmitter enrolled on zone 9; it won't let you enroll the same transmitter on another zone.

Old 05-20-18, 05:42 AM
J
Hmmm.. Then I'll try zone 09 as it was happy there. Thank you. Knowing what not to do is sometimes just as important as knowing what to do.

Old 05-20-18, 09:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It should work. Most of us who have worked with Vista panels over the years reflexively ignore zone 9 because it was not usable for protection zones in all of the previous vista panels before the "P" series were introduced.

For a lot of us, a double digit zone number is a hint to look for wireless devices.

Old 05-21-18, 01:55 AM
J
Thank you Mr Ron! Several documents I've downloaded are for "Vista" systems prior to Vista-20P and still now their explanations help out. I now have my 5800pir and the 5816 door/window working in zones 09 and 10... I believe I have the right zone info programmed in for a key fob in zones 11 through 14 but it doesn't 'authorize'. I'm getting the hang of it. I'm interested in a 4-relay board which gives me countless options. Cool forum! I like electronics.

Old 05-21-18, 04:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Vista 20p actually has several locations reserved specifically for keyfobs. If you don't plan to add many more trasmitters, it doesn't actually matter very much, but keep it in mind. Do you actually _have_ the Vista 20p installer manual?

Old 05-21-18, 08:03 PM
J
I have the Installation and Operation Guide... (K5305-1V10 3/15 .Rev. A .) And the 2 page Quick Installation Guide. (K5305 1QGV3 2/11 rev A) Am I missing an installation guide? The first one was difficult to find..

One thing I'm looking at in the Quick Installation Guide is the RJ31X "phone connection" and it shows the pinouts and I'm assuming they're the top view since the screw heads are pictured. I'm fairly colorblind for gray green and brown so I ohm out the wires from the screws to the colored wires, and the colors ''look' right.

Old 05-22-18, 02:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Just making sure. We've seen someone spend days trying to use the instructions for a Vista 20se to try to program a Vista 20P...

Remember, with security systems, the manuals aren't _instructions_ they are _references_.

Old 05-23-18, 10:26 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Moved this thread into the Alarms forum. Sounds like you've gotten good feedback - but may get more in this forum. Thanks!

Old 05-24-18, 04:42 AM
J
Okay, and thank you for the help. I'm learning fast. I'm almost ready to try a monitoring service..
There's more settings for the V20p system than any others I've seen.