Honeywell IS335, wired interior follower, with Vista-20p?

Old 05-25-18, 03:50 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeywell IS335, wired interior follower, with Vista-20p?

Hello Guys. I don't see anything in the programming guide or user guide about an IS335 wired interior follower. It seems like it would be compatible since it's a Honeywell device and wired pir's have been commonplace for 40 years. I hoped there would be a mention of it and a compatible 'zone type'. I may have mistaken it for the IS3035. Apparently the extra zero mattered. But, I got a great deal on it! :-)

Old 05-25-18, 12:56 PM
C
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Jim, "Interior Follower" is a Zone Type that is (or isn't) programmed for any zone in your system. It isn't a type of sensor. You can wire your IS335 on any hard-wire zone and program that zone to be an Interior Follower, but it's the Zone Type programming and not the PIR that makes it an Interior follower.
When we refer to a "wired interior follower" PIR, we mean a PIR that has been wired to the panel on a zone that is programmed as an interior follower. The zone is programmed, not the sensor.

As for compatibility, any 12VDC PIR, including the IS335, is compatible with any common professional-grade control panel, including the Vista-20P.

You may be confusing yourself by looking in the Vista-20P Installation Manual for information about sensors. You won't find much because the Installation Manual is a guide for installing and programming the control panel, not a guide to sensors. All professional-grade alarm sensors--PIRs, door/window sensors, glass break sensors, smoke sensors, CO sensors, etc---are compatible with all professional-grade control panels; so no compatibility chart is needed. If you start buying direct off the internet from China---in that case, you would probably run into compatibility problems.

Just wire your IS335 to the zone of your choice, according to the wiring instructions, and program the Zone Type however you want--Interior follower is a good choice--and you'll be fine.

Old 05-25-18, 07:51 PM
J
Cool! That's what I hoped. It will probly be my only wired sensor. Thank you CO.

Old 05-25-18, 10:55 PM
J
The IS335 wired PIR installation on V20p looks easy, 4 wires. Looks like the sensor's v+ and v- go to my panel's Aux power terminals, 5 and 4, and the sensors' COM and NC go to panels' LO and HI terminals on zones 1 thru 8. "NC" implies that its a normally closed sensor. My question is, since I always have to bypass zone 8 which I suspect may be reserved for 'case tamper', are there any hardwire zones reserved for a special sensor like Fire or Case tamper?

Old 05-26-18, 04:47 AM
C
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Jim 1969 wrote: Looks like the sensor's v+ and v- go to my panel's Aux power terminals, 5 and 4, and the sensors' COM and NC go to panels' LO and HI terminals on zones 1 thru 8.

That's correct.

Jim 1969 wrote: "NC" implies that its a normally closed sensor.

Correct, but note that "NC", or, "Normally Closed" in Alarm-Speak means the "normal" status of a sensor in an operating system, when the sensor is in a "standby" or "non-alarm" condition.

For a PIR (or any powered burglary sensor), that means the status of the relay contacts when the PIR is powered up and sees no motion.

The reason I'm saying this is that NC in Standard Electron Nomenclature means when the relay is NOT powered. If you have some electronics training, this could confuse you. NC and NO in Alarm Jargon (Alarm-Speak) is sometimes (not always) the opposite of what it means in Electronics Jargon.

Jim 1969 wrote: ....since I always have to bypass zone 8....

What do you mean by always having to bypass Zone 8? Is it showing faulted? Do you have anything wired to T19 and T20? If so, is it wired according to the wiring schematic? What are the exact symptoms when you "have to bypass it"?

Jim 1969 wrote: ....which I suspect may be reserved for 'case tamper', are there any hardwire zones reserved for a special sensor like Fire or Case tamper?

There is no zone in the Vista-20P that is reserved for Case Tamper, or any other specific function. Zones 2 through 8 all act exactly the same, and can be wired and programmed exactly the same. If your Z8 is acting differently from Zones 2 th;rough 7, then look at your wiring. Double check that the loops on Z7 & Z8 aren't crossed/mixed. Since Z7 shares a common ground with Z8, that sometimes happens: I've done it myself when I was fatigued. *blush*

EDIT: What I've just said applies to alarm wiring in North America. If you're posting from outside the USA or Canada, this would be the time to mention it. I'm given to understand that wiring requirements are different in the UK and Europe,

Zone 1 is designed to power 2-wire smoke sensors, but it is not "Reserved" for that purpose. It can be used as a burglary zone.
The difference between Z1 and Z2-->Z7 is that Z1 can't be programmed as an "NC" zone, i.e., a zone that goes dead-short for fault status: Z1 must have an EOLR (End-of-Line Resistor) in its loop, because it's a powered loop, even if you aren't using the power supplied. It should never be wired to go dead short on fault/alarm.

Old 05-26-18, 04:02 PM
J
Thank you CO. I checked the resistor on zone 8 and it was loose on the low terminal shared with zone 7. I tightened it down, and since 8 had been bypassed, I armed STAY and then disarmed to un-bypass zone 8, and when i booted up I pressed the star to display faults zone 08 came up again. I have another v20p case and PCB which I had previously wired up with resistors etc and it gave me the 08 fault when I powered up, so I thought it was a defective PCB, and when I moved into my current case/board and I got the same 08 fault. I was going to return the first case and bd, but I reasoned that if 2 cases and panels had the fault, that it was normal anomaly. The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is to ohm out the resistor, which I'll do, but Ive never seen a resistor test 'open' that wasn't black and crispy. : ) Yep, it measured 810 ohms so it's ok. I can work around Zn 8.

Old 05-26-18, 04:11 PM
J
Wow! I replaced the resistor after testing it and powered up.... no faults! I say you were correct. Thank you again!

Old 05-26-18, 08:57 PM
J
I have an oooold Paradox dual tech motion sensor and I put it in zone 7 as an interior follower with a resistor in series and it works! I must be lucky cos I'm not that good. The sensor is decades old but it only had an hour or two online. Passes the walk test. Thx for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: