Wires Need to Be Attached?

Old 06-02-18, 07:40 AM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wires Need to Be Attached?

Moved into this home 2 years ago and never have been able to get the alarm working. I just want to set it up as a local alarm. I have a DSC PC1555 panel attached to a PC5508 keypad.

The system powers up and the keypad seems to be working, but the code that the previous owners supplied does not seem to arm the system. When I enter the 4-digit code, I hear a beep that lasts about 1 second, then nothing happens. The Ready light and the Trouble light are both on. (Pressing *2 indicates trouble codes 3 and 8, not surprisingly.)

I opened up the panel box to see about doing a factory reset. The instructions say to remove the wires connected to the Zone1 and PGM1 connectors. However, I see that there's no wire attached to the PGM1 connector. I also see (at least) 3 wires that are not attached to anything. (See attached.) The three wires I refer to are the green, white, and yellow wires that are wired to the small "black box" in the top RH corner of the pic.

So should one or more of these wires be connected to the PGM1 connector? I know that before we moved in, the monitoring company visited the home to turn it off. (I'm thinking maybe they disconnected some wires to try to force me to contact them?)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Wayne

Attached Images  

Last edited by whdyck; 06-02-18 at 07:52 AM. Reason: need to be more explicit
Old 06-02-18, 11:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
If there were no wires connected to the PGM it just means that it wasn't being used in this installation. Those instructions just didn't bother to add the phrase "if used" to the sentence.

Just proceed with your procedure.

Old 06-03-18, 05:34 AM
W
Brute Force Code Attempts?

So if I understand you right:
If PGM1 was used by the original configuration, even if someone removed those wires from PGM1, entering the correct 4-digit code should still arm the alarm?

(Reason I was suspicious was that two of these unconnected wires had insulation removed from the ends, so it looks like they were originally connected to something.)

Is there a limit to the number of times I can attempt to enter a 4-digit code into a DSC PC1555 panel / PC5508 keypad system, if I try to use a brute-force trial-and-error technique to discover the code? I'm assuming that if the factory reset fails, any opportunity for the brute-force technique is gone.

Thanks.

Old 06-03-18, 11:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The PGM connection is normally an _output_; and it's an optional feature; so it has nothing to do with the normal arm/disarm functions.

It's a switched connection to ground, and under the special circumstance of hardware default of the system, it does something specific.

There is a way to configure this model for a lockout after a set number of code attempts; but it's a feature rarely used in a residential installation.

Old 06-23-18, 08:26 PM
W
After performing a factory reset, I cannot get into Installer's programming mode: if I enter [star][8]5555, I get a two-second beep, and the Program light does *not* illuminate. However, if I enter
[star][6]1234, I do enter Access Code programming.

So does that mean that Installer's Lockout was set on my panel?

From the installer's manual:
If Installer’s Lockout is selected, a hardware default cannot be performed. If a software default is performed, all programming will restore to factory default..
Seems to imply that if a hardware default does not work, I can do a software default to get the job done. Is that correct? How would I do that? Or am I toast?

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

Old 06-23-18, 09:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Listen to the relay near the telephone connection when you first power up the panel. If you hear a series of rapid clicks; then the installer lockout was used, and short of a lucky guess at the installer code, all you can really do is replace the motherboard and start from scratch.

Old 06-24-18, 07:40 AM
W
I don't recall hearing any rapid clicks on power-up. However, when I supplied power, the siren sounded for just a fraction of a second, so maybe there were clicks and I just didn't hear them?

A couple of questions:
1. Is the hardware default an all-or-nothing operation? So if Installer's Lockout was set, would it reset the Zone definitions, but leave me locked out of Installer mode?

2. There are 6 LED zone indicators that are illuminated on the keypad and the Ready light is off, even though none of the zone devices are open or detecting movement. Before the factory default operation, none of them were illuminated. What does it mean when all 6 are illuminated?

I'm assuming that, if Installer's Lockout was not set, the hardware default operation would reset the Installer's code to 5555, correct?

Thanks.

Wayne

Old 06-24-18, 01:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The dirty "trick" behind the DSC installer lockout, is that it will default everything _except_ the installer code. Your zones are likely showing open because the default resets a setting that tells the system to _not_ look for an EOL resistance in the loops.

That relay chatter is really quick, and not that loud, and if you aren't listening for it, is really easy to miss.

The common default for these is 5555. There are some of the earlier models that used 1555 for the installer manual, so you can try that one. If this is a model that was modified for ADT, it will default to the common ADT installer code (readily found: https://www.google.com/search?rls=co...AJMQ1QII1gEoBw)

Old 06-24-18, 05:33 PM
W
Wow, 1555 worked! Awesome!

Thanks. You just made my day.

Wayne

Old 06-25-18, 04:46 AM
W
OK, I think I'm almost there, but something is still missing.

I've programmed my five zones using the installer's code. I've setup a user access code, using the master code. Now my LEDs for zones 1-5 are illuminated, and the last three are not illuminated. I guess that indicates that I have the first five codes assigned?

However, if I enter that single access code to arm the system, I hear a rapid bebebebeep, then a one-second-long beep (the type that usually means that something was entered incorrectly). Any idea what else I'm missing?

The trouble light is on, and [star][2] shows 3 and 8 being problems. I don't have a phone connected to the system (3), since I use VOIP, but I thought that it would still allow me to arm, same as (8), the clock.

Any idea what else I'm missing?

Thanks.

BTW, the panel indicates that it's a PC1555-00/00.

Old 06-25-18, 05:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
From the FAQ sticky:
"DSC: I defaulted my panel and now all of the zones show "open".
A lot of DSC panel installers choose to not use the End of Line Resistors (for a myriad of reasons) and instead choose to use a feature in the programming that turns off the requirement. When the panel is defaulted, this requirement is turned back on.

The specific location that has to be changed will vary by model, but will usually be in the system options sections of the program.

On the most common, the "Power series" panels (PC 1555, PC 5010, PC 5020, PC 1616, PC 1832, PC 1864, and their variants), this will be programming location 13 where you turn ON Option 1 to disable the need for resistors."

"DSC: Power series panels (632, 832, 864); trouble 3 (telephone line trouble) and/or trouble 4 (failure to communicate) shows on new/defaulted system.

DSC panels default to the communicator turned on, and TLM (telephone line monitoring) turned on. If you will not be using the communicator functions, you have to turn them off by entering programming, turning off option 7 in section 015, and option 1 in section 380."

Old 06-26-18, 08:12 PM
W
Thanks very much for your patience and help. My system now seems to be working as expected.

Wayne

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: