V20 key fob questions

Old 06-08-18, 06:32 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V20 key fob questions

I had my first key fob working in zones 10 thru 13. I got a new second key fob I am trying to put it in zones 40 thru 43 but when I got to the 4th line, the panic button, I couldn't put in the loop number.. it beeped and never moved the cursor. I think it has a conflict with the first key fob. Any ideas how to get at least one working again? Does the second key fob have to be authorized for a second user such as user 802 vs 801? Thank you for your thoughts. This is a humbling process.

Last edited by Jim1969; 06-08-18 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Add question about user 801 vs 802 for key fobs
Old 06-09-18, 12:25 AM
C
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Jim, your moniker looked familiar, so I looked up some of your other threads. Earlier on, you asked questions about a Vista-20P, not a Vista-20. Is this the same panel you’re working on? Because the zoning, both number of zones available _and_ how they’re distributed, is different for the two different models.
So are we working with a Vista-20, or a Vista-20P. Getting the model number correct is essential in a question like this.

That being said:
What model RF Receiver do you have; and how many RF(wireless) zones have you already programmed, aside from the fobs? Even though the Vista-20 supports as many as 24 RF zones (and the Vista-20P supports up to 40 RF zones), a 5881/5882 L or M will only support 8 or 16 zones, respectively.
If you’ve used up all your RF zones, the panel may block you from adding more.

You said, “Any ideas how to get at least one working again?
Huh? Your question hints that your first fob stopped working after you tried to program the 2nd one, but I wish you’d come out and mention that explicitly--details like that matter when we’re trying to troubleshoot remotely and only know what you tell us.

I’ve had that symptom occur when I tried to program too many zones for the RF Receiver model, i.e., programmed 9 zones for a 5881L (aka 5881ENL) that will only support 8. All the RF(wireless) zones were blocked until I deleted the excess zone in programming, then did a power cycle (power down, wait a minute, power back up).

The two fobs can’t conflict with each other if you enter the correct ESN (Electronic Serial Numbers). You only run into conflict if you confuse them when you enter them manually, which is one reason I don’t enter the ESNs manually.

And yes, you need to enter a different User for each fob.

Old 06-09-18, 01:21 AM
J
Sorry you're right... Its a V20P 10.23. and a 6160RF. The first key fob still works to arm home or away.. only, (in zone locations 10 thru 13) which were were entered correctly. The new fob was programmed into zones 40 thru 43. Both key fobs "light up" when I press their keys. The first fob Does arm at home ans away, but no disarm. The second fob doesn't "do" anything at all. And I set up its zones by the first successfull entries I used for zones 10 - 13. The zone numbers at zone 40 are consecutive, and the zone types are 20 21 22 and 23, the loops are 4, 3 2 and 1, and only "panic" has a report code. When I did the authorization.. I got a long (2 sec) beep.

My first indication something was wrong for the second fob, was when I entered the Loop Number after the DSN for the disarm and panic zones: (42 and 43), The 6160rf beeped and the loop number flashed on and off repeatedly and pressing * or # did nothing. That's the look. Sounds from you like It occured too late to me that they might need a different "User code". Im thinking also that I might need to delete Serial Numbers for 1 or both fobs. That everything.. Thank you for reminding me about V20 vs V20P.

Oh yes, I have 4 wireless Motion detectors and 2 5816 door sensors. And the first key fob acted up after the extra zones were (almost) entered.

Last edited by Jim1969; 06-09-18 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Forgot one answer
Old 06-09-18, 08:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
On a vista 20p, they actually created a special block of zones (49-64) specifically for keyfobs, so you don't have to use the protection zones. There is also a template system for setting them up correctly. Yes, if I recall, each keyfob needs to be assigned to a different user number.

Installer manual Page 5-6: http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Adem...n%20Manual.pdf

Old 06-09-18, 05:26 PM
J
Thank you for pointing that out.. I'll put the keyfobs in those zones. I think templates are the expert mode.. I'll try it. Thx!

Old 06-09-18, 09:15 PM
J
I tried expert mode again and it didn't work again. I also deleted both key fob serial numbers and restarted hand entering starting at zone 10 again and at the end of zone 13, panic zone, it froze up after the DSN on the loop 1 entry. It just flashed the 1 over and over and it wouldn't respond to *. This is just information for y'all out there. I'm not going to do another *97. I'll do without a key fob. I appreciate a challenge but Im using my system unmonitored, as is, and I have 2 more 10.23 panels in cans w/xformers, so if I wire another one I'll revisit this. Thanks for the help guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: