DH window contacts

Old 06-15-18, 06:15 AM
Y
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DH window contacts

Hi - New member here.

Have been informed by my insurance company that my rebuilt (house fire) house must have a wired alarm system. All the new windows are wood -- LePage out of Canada. I'm wondering what is the "go to" contact or sensor today for a double hung window. I have installed previous alarm systems ... the last I did any wired contacts has to be 15 years ago. Used a small screw type (thread into a drilled hole) magnetic contact on the double hung and glider (sliding windows) and a small surface mount on the casements -- this house will have DH and casements.

The previous system in this house was a general wireless system (motion detectors/ smoke detectors) -- My remotes were Ademco .. so I'm assuming it all was. Bought it from a local alarm company and installed it myself. It's a vacation house ... I may have the alarm company make the trip to connect it up ... but doing each sensor would take them days. I'm also remembering it was easy to install the sensors before the widows were installed.

looks like Napco and Ademco are still the main companies?

Old 06-15-18, 03:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
If you are used to Honeywell (Ademco) stick with that. You see a lot of questions on Napco here, because they are less DIY friendly than most. The other main common brand is DSC, with Concord and Networx trailing further behind.

Prewiring with the installation of the windows is the sane way to go.

Old 06-16-18, 11:51 AM
Y
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to figure out the best sensor to use on a wood double hung

Old 06-16-18, 12:28 PM
T
Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts
I always used 3/8" press-fit contacts on wood single-hung windows. Visible only when the sash is open and even then, you have to look pretty closely. If truly double-hung (upper sash moveable), you can always add a second contact on the upper sash.

Since you said "built", installation will be fun. Hopefully you aren't on a slab and have an attic.

Old 06-16-18, 03:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
If you want a clean look, and you have access to the framing, then the press fits are the way to go. The one thing to check, is whether drilling into the window framing for the contact and magnet will affect the warranty on the windows. Some brands are very specific on this.

I am of varying thoughts on putting contacts on the upper sash of a true double hung window. The odds of someone recognizing that it's a moveable section and using that to get around the bottom being alarm protected is pretty slim. If you have a lot of windows, that extra set of contacts is a lot of extra work, for little gain, in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: