Napco Magnum 2600

Old 06-24-18, 12:39 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napco Magnum 2600

I no longer have monitoring and wanted to know if I can have the dialer call my phone. I have a Rc2000 keypad. The service was able to change the phone number remotely in the past, so I know the number can be changed.

Old 06-24-18, 02:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
Napco panels aren't terribly DIY friendly. Here's a link to the needed manuals: Index of /manuals/Napco/MA2600

Looking at the programming map in the manual, this model doesn't have a residential dial or "pager" mode, so I doubt that you will be able to make it work the way you want...

Old 06-25-18, 09:21 AM
C
Thank you. As I mentioned, they were able to change the phone number remotely. I assume there must be a program that that allows you to dial into the unit and make certain changes. Is that program available or was the change made a different way?

Old 06-25-18, 02:07 PM
T
Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts
There was a DOS based version of the Napco downloader software for the 1000/2000 series panels that requires a PCI2000 interface. For the life of me I can't remember whether you could connect directly to the 2600, or if you had to dial in.

Some of the really old 2600s may not support remote downloading at all.

Old 06-25-18, 04:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Napco still has the software on it's site (not sure if it will run on a modern computer). One problem with the older downloader software packages, is that some can set a specific code in the system, and a copy with that specific code, can be the only allowed connection.

Napco password protects it's software downloads, but here is the location:
NAPCO Technical Library

Remember, we are talking about hardware from the early 90s at it's newest.

Old 06-26-18, 07:18 PM
J
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
It doesn't make any difference if you can use the downloader program or not if you don't have the dealer code to get into the program. And even if you did have the dealer code, the only thing that you could do would be to program the panel to call your cell phone number but all you would see is that the call came from your home telephone number. No data can be transmitted to your phone. At that point the panel would try to call you about a dozen times and then go into a trouble condition because it couldn't get through to a legitimate central station receiver.

I suggest that you remove the panel from the wall . put it on a shelf above your front door with a string attached to your doorknob. THEN go out and buy a new modern alarm system.

Old 07-02-18, 10:15 AM
C
Thanks, that's good advice. Don't want to waste time getting nowhere. Can you recommend a replacement unit that would benefit using the existing wiring?

Old 07-02-18, 05:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The four major brands: Honeywell Vista; DSC; Concord, and Networx are all roughly equivalent, and are relatively DIY friendly.

Old 07-03-18, 10:48 PM
J
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
After 25 years or more of good service, why wouldn't you consider a Napco panel? I've been installing Napco procudts since 1969 and although they're not popular with the majority of the lesser educated installers because it takes a bit of thought to program them, the better Napco panels have more programable features than the majority of the so-called popular major brands. Aside from that, Napco doesn't make a concentrated effort to bypass their customers by making it purposely easy for DIY'er to obtain and program their equipment as the other manufacturers do.
>
Yet, I can appreciate that DIY'ers don't have any reason to put a lot of effort into learning how to program a panel with features that they will never use, or be able to figure out what to use them for.
>
So . I guess it would be best for you to try one of the easier panels to work with. DSC seems to be at the bottom of the pile as far as ease of programming .. among other things.

Old 07-04-18, 02:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Napco makes excellent, and durable hardware. That said, the tendency of the alarm industry to regard the installers as it's primary customer, and the end users as secondary, dates to the era when a lot of intrusion alarms were installed as a quasi-leased property.

We are _long_ past that situation; and hardware that has a steep learning curve for the DIY residential market, and offers no technical support direct to the end user, is painting the manufacturer into a corner, in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: