Gps

Old 07-16-18, 05:16 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gps

Hi, any idea whether a magnet (magnetic holder) may damage GPS? After I installed a magnetic holder GPS is unable to locate satellites. It quit within 10 minutes after installation. It worked fine before. Thanks, Danigo

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-18, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Shouldn't make a single bit of difference. Does a magnet prevent a radio from working or a TV from receiving a signal?

Unless you are somehow covering the area where the antenna is...shouldn't make any diff. Does it work off the holder?

Old 07-17-18, 07:29 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Magnetic Holder for electronic devices

Thanks Gunguy 45 for the comment. You are riht a magnet doesn't affect radio nor TV reception. But in GPS and/or Smart phone there is an accelerometer which uses magnet to generate electrical signal. After posting my question I opened the GPS and sure enough there was an accelerometer (a little ferrite cube about 1/4 inch) just where the holding magnet was. It also afected my smart phone. When the magnetic holder was in the middle of the phone it would shut it off. When I moved it to one side it worked normally. It also screwed up the time and date completely. So my suggestion is NOT TO USE magnetic holders with any devices using accelerometer...GPS, smart phone, tablets etc. The holder I used is MOTOR TREND by Premier Accesory Group.
​​​​

Old 07-18-18, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, I guess you have a different type of GPS (or fancier)...mine doesn't have any inertial function. No signal...no indicated movement.
Only type of accelerometer I knew of in a phone was what I read about a while back and it wasn't magnetic. It was a mico-miniature series of channels with a dense conductive fluid in them.

My wife has an S8+ and has no problems with magnetic holders or rings.

Guess it just depends on the phone/GPS...you'd think they'd put something in the literature about it.

Thanks for the update and info!