Problem with new battery

Old 07-17-18, 10:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Problem with new battery

It had been six years since I replaced the battery on my (18-year old) GE Caddx NX-8 system, so I wasn't surprised when I got a "Control Low Battery" message. However, I have replaced the battery and I still get this message. When I disconnect the transformer from the wall outlet the system goes dead, and will not recognize the battery backup. BUT I have a cell communicator and it does run off the battery. I independently tested the battery and it is fully charged. I double checked the connections to the battery and they seem fine. The communicator was also connected to the battery, and I took the communicator off and just wired the system to the battery, and the system still does not find the battery (in that when I disconnect from the outlet the system goes dead). Could this be some programming issue? I recently had a communication error, and had to do some reprogramming, and my monitoring company (GeoArm) actually had to delete my account and reinstall it to solve that. Any suggestions at all would be most appreciated.

Old 07-18-18, 01:05 PM
T
Received 195 Upvotes on 171 Posts
Something is FUBAR in switching from AC to DC power. Not surprising in a panel that age. I don't remember a battery fuse for that panel, but I didn't work with them a great deal.

Other than checking for a blown fuse on the board, I can't think of a valid test other than dropping AC power (which you've already done).

Old 07-18-18, 04:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
This was one of the early models that used all PTC overload protection instead of fuses. Once those fail, unless you are adventurous with a soldering pen, there's not much you can do to fix it, other than a main board swap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: