Replacing an Ancient Control

Old 07-18-18, 04:54 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing an Ancient Control

I have an old Napco CCI-5 that has been in daily use since 1982. I've replaced the Corby keypad a couple of times but everything else is an original system that I installed when I was in college. It is 100% hard wired, all connections soldered, and I was pretty happy with it until it died this week. It's just a local alarm (no monitoring) that is hopefully good enough to scare off a junkie coming after the copper plumbing. The house is vacant right now so I sleep a lot better when the alarm works.

It only had 4 zones - fire, panic, delay, and instant. I don't need a monster control. I have over 30 years of experience as a software developer and I can do the programming if the manual gives me a fighting chance (my home has a modern system). I no longer have any local connections in the industry so I can't buy quality equipment from the suppliers here. So, can anyone recommend a panel or panel/keyboard that I can order online to replace this unit? I'd like to not spend any more than I need to but what I would really like is something that is rock solid reliable. I'll pay whatever is necessary to not have a problem system 35 minutes away.

Old 07-18-18, 09:18 AM
T
I managed to contact the guy who taught me security back in the day. He's still in the business and recommended the Honeywell Vista 20P. That's what I've ordered. I don't expect it to last 36 years like the prior unit did but since I'm 61 it may not need to!

Old 07-18-18, 01:03 PM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
Good choice. In my own (not-so-humble) opinion, the Honeywell (formerly Ademco) panels are the most DIY friendly. Did you order a 6160 Keypad along with the Vista-20P panel? You'll need it for panel programming.

I used to work on the CCI-5, back in the day. For their time, they were good little panels.

Old 07-19-18, 04:28 AM
T
Yes, there is a 6160 keypad on the way as well.

But this is me. There will be something that I've forgotten that won't be obvious until I need it. With any luck it will be something so common I can get it at the store!

The house is a town that is becoming famous for its drug problem. We are actually seeing A/C compressors stolen for the metal. I'm even thinking about pulling a wire outside and putting a mag. contact on this one. I mean, I seriously doubt if I'm up against criminal masterminds on this one.

Old 07-19-18, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I agree..... good choice on a replacement panel. I do mostly commercial work where we use laptops for programming but I find it easy to program the 20P from the keypad. As far as the condenser protection.... nothing fancy is required. Just a wire loop thru the cooling slot is fine. When the wire is broken.... the circuit opens and sounds off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: