Vista 20P - com failure and audible exit stopped working

Old 07-31-18, 11:57 PM
Vista 20P - com failure and audible exit stopped working

Hi there. First post on this forum. Much good info to be found here and thankful for all the contributors.

I am am working on a Honeywell Vista 20P with Ipdatatel CAT CDMA. For the past month it was working but last week it just stopped working. Iíve checked the CAT CDMA to see if its connected right and programmed per directions in manual.

However, the keypad keeps displaying Comm Failure and I am not sure where to go from here. I use to get notifications from various sources to indicate when alarm was armed or disarmed via phone and email.

On another note, the audible alert exit no longer happens. At one point it used to work but now no audible alarm exits on arming and disarming. During this time I also cancelled a phone line that may have some bearing on the issue at hand.

where do I begin to diagnose?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-18, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What are you seeing on the LED display on the CAT CDMA?

Manual: https://ipdatatel.com/cat-cdma-product-manual/

Old 08-01-18, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
What are you seeing on the LED display on the CAT CDMA?

Manual: https://ipdatatel.com/cat-cdma-product-manual/
LED 1 - solid
LED 2 - not illuminated (even when arming system)
LED 3 to LED 6 - illuminated

from the alarmdealer website, verified the unit is ONLINE and connected

Old 08-02-18, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was the unit installed _with_ the existing landline also connected? If so, you may have still been dialing out on the landline.

Old 08-02-18, 06:21 PM
No landline is connected. Currently have the out hooked up only to the CAT CDMA.

Old 08-03-18, 03:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Basically, if you are relying on the cellular unit; for some reason, it is not providing the alarm control with a working cellular connection. The unit may have signal, but the signal isn't getting to the central station/server.

The problem with the exit alert is unrelated. Could you be arming in Stay mode? There is not an audible exit count for that.

Old 08-06-18, 06:26 AM
Basically, if you are relying on the cellular unit; for some reason, it is not providing the alarm control with a working cellular connection. The unit may have signal, but the signal isn't getting to the central station/server.

The problem with the exit alert is unrelated. Could you be arming in Stay mode? There is not an audible exit count for that.
I am arming in Away mode when testing for the audible exit. The panel itself will beep but I no longer hear the siren. At one point I had to disable bell supervision to get rid of failure (I'll fix this problem once the comm failure is fixed). I had mentioned it because it seemed to have occurred at same time the comm failure had occurred.

Hmm I double checked the wires and even setup the unit to guide specs.

Old 08-06-18, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you can't get the siren to sound, it's probable that your siren or siren wiring has failed.

Simple test: Take the siren wires off of the alarm control terminals and touch them to a good battery. If you don't hear the siren; then you have a problem with either the siren or the wiring between.

Old 08-06-18, 09:46 PM
i've been hearing verizon have been shutting down 3G cdma cell towers and converting them to 4G LTE for more bandwidth. it could be why your getting a comm failure.

Old 08-10-18, 12:19 AM
If you can't get the siren to sound, it's probable that your siren or siren wiring has failed.

Simple test: Take the siren wires off of the alarm control terminals and touch them to a good battery. If you don't hear the siren; then you have a problem with either the siren or the wiring between.
I will try connecting siren this weekend. Oddl, the siren works fine if testing a tripped zone while in away mode.

Im wondering if one of the alarm panel’s component malfunctioned when cycling power.