Want driveway alarm to turn on floodlight

Old 08-07-18, 09:49 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want driveway alarm to turn on floodlight

My goal - To have a driveway that when triggered a large floodlight to turns on.

My plan - Is to install a driveway alarm that I've found that comes with a 12VDC output. (https://www.dakotaalert.com/store/25...riveway-alarm/)

My Question - Is it possible to use that low voltage 12VDC output to trigger lights that will require larger voltage to turn on?

Would really appreciate some guidance on this thought, if its possible?

Thank you!

S

Old 08-07-18, 09:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.... you could use a 12vdc relay to control a much larger load and voltage.
That's an expensive sensor to control a light. Have you considered a motion sensor ?

Old 08-07-18, 10:20 PM
K
Thank you! and Thank you for the quick reply.

I have tried motion sensor driveway alarms but found that i was getting a lot of false alarms due to animals, leaves, etc... So this particular driveway alarm I had in mind now has a probe that gets buried in the driveway and only detects metal within a 10-12ft radius. The receiver will make an audible tone to let us know when something has triggered it, but I would like to make use of the 12vdc output that is available on it as well. A big floodlight pointed towards the driveway should catch the attention of an unwanted guest at night.

Would you recommend a 12vdc relay? Or if there's such a thing as simple instructions? Youtube maybe. Is this a job for an electrician possibly?

Thanks again.

S

Old 08-08-18, 02:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
It takes a bit of basic electrical knowledge. It's the equivalent of wiring a light switch into the power circuit for the light. If you aren't comfortable working with a 120v wiring circuit, I would bring in an electrician.

Old 08-08-18, 05:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
Below are links to two control boards I have used before. One is a simple relay while the other offers the ability to set a timer when the board is triggered. This would allow your driveway alarm to turn on the light and the light would stay on for however long you want.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-26-18, 10:03 AM
K
Thank You @MrRonFL for that response. @Pilot Dane, thank you as well for those suggestions. I will probably order on and look into getting additional help with the installation .

Old 08-26-18, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
In addition to what was posted..... a RIB relay makes a great choice as it mounts directly onto an electric box which saves work in having to mount a relay board.

The part number is RIB12C-FA. You can search it directly.
Functional-Devices-RIB12C-FA-Enclosed-Polarized/dp/B0041X2OOW

Here's what it would look like mounted to an electrical box.
Name:  1900.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  33.2 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: