10 year smoke detectors?????

Old 09-30-18, 01:20 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
10 year smoke detectors?????

I have 4 standard smoke detectors in my home and being the cheapskate that I am, I hate having to buy 9 volts each year for them! I was thinking of buying the expensive 10 year sealed lithium detectors.

I wonder if they indeed last 10 years?
Do you think the technology is changing where they will be significantly cheaper in the next two years or something?

I would value anyones 2 cents on the subject.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-18, 01:50 PM
Received 236 Votes on 223 Posts
I just swapped out all mine last year for the LI units, got tired of battery changes and the occasional beeping when the batteries ran low.

I agree, hope they last!!

Old 10-03-18, 12:36 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I have a 10 year one in my garage and it's been 8 years now so far so good

Old 10-03-18, 01:08 AM
C
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Andoy33: "I have a 10 year one in my garage and it's been 8 years now so far so good"

Uh-oh!
Normally, a garage is one of the places where you shouldn't have a smoke detector. Other places are any space with an oil/gas furnace or water heater, in a kitchen, just outside a bathroom door (steam from shower), or in a laundry room--anywhere that smoke or steam is sometimes present in normal circumstances.

You might get away with a smoke detector in a garage if it's used only as a workshop or storage and cars are never driven in or out. If you've never had a false alarm from that smoke detector, I recommend you test it---thoroughly. Unless you drive an electric car.

EDIT: Any yes, lithium batteries typically do last that long.

Old 10-03-18, 04:15 AM
Received 168 Votes on 153 Posts
I agree, having a smoke detector in the garage is not good idea. And yes the 10 year battery detector are the way to go.

Old 10-03-18, 06:51 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Y'all must be driving some nasty polluting vehicles to set off a smoke detector in the 10 seconds it takes to get in /out of a garage. You sure you're not thinking of a CO detector?

Old 10-04-18, 03:29 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
My garage is only used as a workshop and the detector is placed above the washer and dryer.

Old 10-05-18, 08:08 AM
F
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
I just bought a First Alert SA320 dual function detector (carbon monoxide & ionization/smoke) that runs on AAs.

I should note that I bought it hoping it would be less sensitive to false alarms from steam than my old (like 25 years old) detector was. Several of the things I routinely do in the kitchen produce sizable amounts of steam and I was getting tired of having to take the batteries out of the old detector (and forgetting I'd done so) to shut it up.

But no dice, the new detector is even more sensitive to steam, if anything.

But at least it doesn't run on 9vs.