Napco GEM P 1632

Old 10-05-18, 10:16 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Napco GEM P 1632

We bought a house built in 2004 which has the Napco P1632 wired in. I want to remove the keypads and motion sensors, we will never use this old system. I don't care if the box stays in my laundry room. No information came with the house. I have a Simplisafe system I am planning to use. If I just unplug the transformer and the battery inside the panel, will that power everything down, or will it set everything off? My husband can take the keypads off and cap the wires. My smoke alarms are apparently also wired into this thing too?

Old 10-05-18, 01:02 PM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
If there is Fire or Smoke Detector zone in your zone list, then almost certainly the smoke detectors are connected to your panel. If they are, in most jurisdictions it would be a code violation to shut down the panel UNLESS, you remove the system smoke detectors and install new detectors in accordance with the codes adopted in your area.

Unhooking the battery from the alarm panel and removing the transformer should power everything down.

IMHO: I've never seen a marketing plan that provided security to anyone other than the marketers.

Old 10-05-18, 06:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
If they are smoke _alarms_, they almost certainly work on 120V and are independent of the intrusion alarm. Easy to tell. Take one off the base. If it's just got a 3 wire connector with heavy gauge wire, it's a 120v device.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: