Removing a door from Concord 4 system

Old 10-27-18, 09:49 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing a door from Concord 4 system

I want to remove a door we use to let our dog out from the "Stay" but leave it in the "Away".
Is that something I can do, or must I pay the alarm company to do it?

I found that taping a small magnet over the sensor makes the system think the door is closed. Is that a reasonable work around, or will I cause a problem? Would I want it to attract the magnet on the door, or repel it?

Thanks much.

Old 10-27-18, 10:40 AM
C
Received 73 Upvotes on 65 Posts
It's something you can do if you have your Concord's Installer Code. Do you?

Taping a magnet over the sensor won't cause a problem for the system, but if you forget to remove the magnet, you could go away (or to bed), leaving that door unprotected. I leave it to you to make that judgement.

With the magnet taped directly onto the sensor, it doesn't make a lot of difference functionally whether it attracts or repels the other magnet; but I would probably make it attract, if you're going to have it there much of the time with the door closed. Repelling magnets in close proximity will cause attrition (lessening) of the magnets' strength over a long period.

Old 10-27-18, 01:30 PM
T
They won't give me the installers code until I drop their monitoring. That seems odd because it gives me an incentive to drop their monitoring. I suppose had I known it was important before hiring them...

Is the magnet in the door easy to dig out and replace? I am thinking the two magnets in attraction will overpower the tape. So I would like to put them repelling, but not if it will ruin the door magnet and I can't replace it!

Old 10-27-18, 05:53 PM
C
They won't give me the installers code until I drop their monitoring. That seems odd because it gives me an incentive to drop their monitoring. I suppose had I known it was important before hiring them...

Monitoring companies are wary of carrying responsibility for a system where the User has access to the panel programming. They can't be sure you won't change something that causes them to miss a signal from a valid alarm, and court action could find them, as professionals, responsible for damages/loss. There are users (probably not you) would would muck about in the programming and then swear they never touched it.

Is the magnet in the door easy to dig out and replace? I am thinking the two magnets in attraction will overpower the tape. So I would like to put them repelling, but not if it will ruin the door magnet and I can't replace it!

I can't say without knowing what kind of door you're talking about and how the magnet is installed in it. There are different kinds of doors and different kinds of contact/magnet pairs, and different ways to install even the same kind of contacts/magnet pairs. All alarm systems are, by their nature, customized.

If you can post a picture(s) of the contact and magnet in the door, and how you're taping the extra magnet, then I can advise you.

Old 10-28-18, 11:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
If it's just a single door, and it's on it's own zone, the simple solution is to just use the bypass command from the keypad. If it's mixed in with other openings, depending on how the physical contact is wired, creating a mechanical bypass could be simple, or very difficult.

Remember, these things are just dumb magnetically actuated switches.

Old 03-14-19, 11:00 AM
T
It is finally warm enough to leave the door open long enough to take a photograph.
One picture is the frame; the other the door.
Sadly, the door is not on its own zone.

Old 03-14-19, 07:31 PM
C
Okay, with that configuration, you can't tape the extra magnet so it's smack against the contact; so I'd mount it to oppose the original magnet. As to how hard it is to dig out the original mag, that depends on the kind of wood and how much it may have swollen. You'll only know by trying. If you can get it out, that would be a better workaround.

If you can't get it out without major surgery, it will probably take years for the two opposing magnets to weaken each other significantly and when that happens, you can drill and install a 2nd magnet right beside to first original one, almost touching, and opposing it; so all 3 magnets are pushing at each other. Once you've drilled that 2nd hole for the 2nd magnet, they both will probably be easy to extract and replace as needed when they weaken.

Just a suggestion, I'd affix a bright red ribbon trailing from that taped-on magnet to help you remember it's there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: