Upgrading my alarm. Suggestions?

Old 11-14-18, 04:59 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrading my alarm. Suggestions?

I have an Ademco Vista 20 P (rev No. 9.12) panel which I installed in my home about 8 years ago or so. At that time, I just put sensors on all of the doors (all are hard wired except one is wireless) with the idea of adding more later. In addition to the interior siren, I have an exterior one and added the Envisalink Eyezon earlier this year so I can at least monitor it myself from my phone. That was at the suggestion of people from this forum in response to a similar post I made back them. Anyways, I seem to recall holding off on the window sensors because I was going to slowly start replacing my windows and figured I would run a hardwired sensor at that time but so far the only windows I replaced are second story ones which aren't going to get a sensor anyways. So, where should I start? Should I put a wireless sensor on every ground floor window that opens? Should I add a couple of motion sensors? Glass break sensors? Are motion sensors these days pretty good at avoiding false alarms? Another thing I am considering is setting up some cameras outside. We have been pretty lucky but lately I have heard of a couple of break ins in the neighborhood and neighbors spotting suspicious people around. Love to hear your thoughts on where I should begin.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-18, 03:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
Since you have wireless, it's easy to add contacts to the windows. I would start with the ones that are both easily accessible from the ground floor, and also where they are not well visible from the street or the neighbors.

Old 11-17-18, 08:31 AM
D
A lot of my windows are old crank out style, which I imagine would probably be easier to break than to try to pry open and squeeze inside. Would you go with glass break or motion sensors (or both) in addition?

Old 11-17-18, 10:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For awning and casement windows, a motion is probably going to be the better choice.

Old 11-17-18, 04:20 PM
D
That should be easy enough. I figure I can put one in the room with all the windows and sliding doors, one in the hall, and either one or 2 in the basement and that should cover everything. Which ones do you recommend that are least prone to false alarms and that may be suitable for pets (we may get a dog in the future)? One can be wired because I have a wire run to the spot in the hall already but the other 2 or 3 will be easier to set up wireless.

Old 11-17-18, 07:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For wireless, you are pretty much married to the available models compatible with your wireless system. For hardwired, the dual-tech models are _far_ more false trip resistant. Most have some form of "pet immune" for critters under 40ish pounds.