Vista20-pmt FC error

Old 11-23-18, 01:16 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista20-pmt FC error

here is my situation

New to me house with an alarm system using the vista 20 pmt

I did not have the installer code , so successfully reset the installer code. I can get into programming mode and verify with #20 to see the code on the panel.

I now get an FC alarm . Looking at other threads it seems the solution is to clear the phone numbers with *41* and *42*, however when I try these field numbers I get a EE error.

I Can clear the alarm, but it returns every 12 hours

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 11-23-18, 08:22 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
It sounds like you have a control panel that was made proprietary for a company so that no other dealer (or Owner/User) can change monitoring companies, or even discontinue attempts to send signals. Who was the installing company?

You may have to replace the Control Panel (not the Keypad(s)) to be able to use it without that continual FC Trouble. The Control Panel is the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) that lives in a steel cabinet somewhere, usually in an out-of-the-way space like a closet, utility room/area, or unfinished basement. Depending on the installing company, you _may_ have to change out the Keypads too, but usually not. Again, it depends on how proprietary the installing company was, which is why the name is relevant.

Old 11-24-18, 11:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 111 Posts
That "pmt" means that that alarm control was modified for Monotronic, (I'm pretty sure), and they frequently set up their systems so that the dialer programming is not accessible via keypad programming.

Old 11-24-18, 01:54 PM
P
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Just curious - are these changes implemented via custom firmware? Could you buy the 10.23 TC ROM for a Vista-20p, and turn your Monitronics Vista-20p panel into a generic VIsta-20p?

Since the panel retains its programming through a firmware change, there is obviously NVRAM on the system board. So I suppose it's possible that a parameter stored in an inaccessible location in NVRAM is what is instructing the system to enable OEM customizations, and that the firmware is all the same. Seems simpler to have a single firmware image, but there could be other reasons to have separate firmware for each OEM.

Old 11-25-18, 11:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The simple answer is that they are willing to pay for the customized firmware...some mass market installers still cling to the proprietary business model.

That said, it's honestly cheaper, and easier to just replace the main board. The replacement is going to be in the 40-50 dollar range. The cost of the 6160 keypad to do the programming would likely be much more than the board costs, if you don't already have one.

Old 11-26-18, 09:22 AM
D
Thanks for the help

Thanks everyone for the responses.

MrRonFL, you are correct it is a monitronic system, so it looks like I am stuck with the proprietary board

Odd that I had not been getting the FC error before even though we were not paying for monitoring.

Old 11-26-18, 01:32 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
diyreno: "Odd that I had not been getting the FC error before even though we were not paying for monitoring. "

That's not uncommon with systems when a User discontinues his monitoring service but doesn't reprogram the panel not to be monitored. The majority of home systems don't stay in continual communication with a monitoring station, they only try to send a signal when there is some alarm or selected trouble condition to report.

Most likely, your panel tried to report some trouble condition, possibly a "Low Battery" when you had the battery disconnected during the procedure to recover your Installer Code. The Panel tried to send some signal and didn't reach a monitoring station receiver that would have replied with proper acknowledgement signals to let it know it had gotten its signals through.

Old 11-27-18, 07:44 PM
D
Thatís a thought

Interesting, do you know if the board keeps a history of unreported errors? Perhaps That needs to be cleared.

Old 11-28-18, 03:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Doesn't work that way. The only way to clear the FC trouble display is to turn off the dialer by deleting the phone numbers, or by successfully connecting to the receiver.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: