Ring Spotlight doesn't like my access point?!

Old 12-03-18, 01:48 PM
Ring Spotlight doesn't like my access point?!

My house is 70' wide. My router is in the basement against the north wall.
The is an access point on the second story near the south side connected by ethernet cable. The middle of the house gets equal signal strength from both.

I installed a Ring Spotlight on the south exterior wall; so it much closer to the access point than to the router. But it gets a -81 from the access point and a -74 from the router. The -74 is enough to work poorly and the -81 doesn't work at all. My cell phone and laptop get a much stronger signal from the access point than the router when put next to the camera.

So, why might the camera not get on well with the access point. The AC is 2.4, which what the camera requires.

It took 40 minutes on hold to get through to Ring customer service and they don't have a clue. However they are sending me their extender which hopefully will fix the problem. BUT it is really frustrating to not know why the access point doesn't work. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-18, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There have been a fair number of recent posts about these IOT devices having issues with WiFi extenders. It's still something of an evolving tech, so you may need their device extender to have any success.

Old 12-04-18, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Did you forget about this thread you started ? ....... arlo-pro-ring-spotlight

Old 12-05-18, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
Did you forget about this thread you started ? ....... arlo-pro-ring-spotlight
I asked about the difference between Arlo and Ring. Getting no information, I chose Ring. Now I am trying to get Ring to work with my access point.

I am not sure what you are getting at.

Old 12-05-18, 02:15 PM
My Ring doorbell was getting around -48 w/o a range extender, and now gets -33 with a range extender (Netgear EX6400). Netgear R7000 router is at the other end of the house, on the second story. Distance is maybe 60 feet.

A Ring Chime Pro plugged into the same spot as the EX6400 gave me no improvement. You might see an improvement as your signal is so weak.

Old 12-05-18, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
You asked about a weak signal and I mentioned siding and associated problems.

Old 12-05-18, 06:33 PM
You asked about a weak signal and I mentioned siding and associated problems.
Why does the siding and wall affect the signal to the camera, but not the signal to my cellphone? Or the signal from my router on the other side of the house to the camera?

Old 12-05-18, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Because your camera is mounted directly against it if you have foil backer board.

Old 12-05-18, 07:22 PM
Because your camera is mounted directly against it if you have foil backer board.
So was the cell phone that got a good signal with the access point, and so is the camera that is getting a better signal with the router.

Old 12-06-18, 02:16 PM
Sometimes moving a wireless device just a few inches can make a big difference.

Old 12-08-18, 03:13 PM
Ring sent me their extender. It gets a poor signal off my access point, just barely better than off my router 6x as far away, but sends it through the wall pretty well. So I am now at -62. That isn't good, but way better than i was before.

It is a big mystery why neither the ring extender or camera like my access point, but I will probably never know.