Question about Vista keypad

Old 12-28-18, 02:09 PM
P
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Question about Vista keypad

Hey guys,
I have an older Honeywell/ADT Safewatch 2000 wired system, have replaced the board with an new Vista 20 and everything has worked fine for over a year. Now, the old keypad doesn't respond(looks to be 20+ yrs old) when any button is pushed. I've power cycled, and still nothing. I'm assuming this keypad is just gonna have to be replaced with a new 6150 or 6160, but wanted to make sure i'm on the right track here and that there isn't likely a different problem associated. Is keypad replacement as simple as power down, remove old keypad, and connect the wires to the new keypad, then power back up and i'm done?
Thanks in advance

Old 12-28-18, 03:36 PM
P
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
The keypads are addressable, and need to have unique addresses. There is a button sequence at power-on to set the address of the keypad. You need to make the new keypad's address match the address of the one you are replacing. So make sure to fetch the old address (it will be a small integer like 16, 17, 18, 19, etc) and set the address of the new keypad to the same.

To get the keypad address: Press 1 and 3 at the same time and hold for 3 seconds. Works all the time.

To set the keypad address: Press 1 and 3 at the same time and hold for 3 seconds within 60 seconds of power-on. Press 0 and 0, and then the two digits of the keypad address.

You can do a search to find the installation instruction for the keypad. You'll find more complete instructions there. The instructions for the keypads with wireless transceivers (6150RF, 6160RF) are a little different.

Old 12-28-18, 09:48 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Sounds like your old keypad membrane has bite the dust. but yes just as pondscum said just address the keypad the old one was addressed to and you should be good to go. older keypads uses harness connectors. just cut them out splice the wires and put it into the screw terminals of the new keypad and you should be good to go. i always recommend getting a 6160 Keypad since it has a alpha display and you could do some programming on it.

Old 12-29-18, 08:22 AM
P
Thanks for the replies. How do I get the keypad address of the current keypad if the buttons aren't working? It literally doesn't react when any button is pushed. I'm able to arm/disarm using Total Connect and no error is displaying on the keypad, it says "Disarmed Ready to Arm". Would it be possible to install the new keypad without powering down? Would this allow me to replace the old one without having to mess with the keypad address?

Old 12-29-18, 03:28 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
If you only have the one keypad in the system, then address the new one to address 16, which is always enabled and will work. Unless you have multiple keypad addresses to keep track of, you don't really need to worry what the old KP address was.

These directions are for KPs that are NOT RF Keypads (e.g. 6150RF)
(1) power down Panel, both transformer and battery
(2) install new keypad
(3) Power up panel
(4) Press * and # simultaneously, together, and at the same time, and hold until KP beeps and shows a 2-digit number, which will be the address. In necessary, follow the simple direction in the KP manual (instruction sheet) to address keypad to Address 16.
(5) Wait for KP display to show that it's in Normal Operation Mode, and it's ready to use.

I strongly recommend you NOT install a keypad without having the system powered down. It's not _guaranteed_ to zap your new keypad by connecting live wires to it, but that happens too often to be worth the risk. I _always_ power down during KP installation.

Old 12-29-18, 07:40 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Please do not do it while the system is powered on. if any wires touches each other it could really damage your system. such as the keypad bus on the board

Old 12-30-18, 02:12 PM
P
Ok, got it. Thanks for the help everybody!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: