Replace Existing Wired Security System

Old 01-05-19, 04:17 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace Existing Wired Security System

I purchased a house with an Ademco 4110XM wired security system. I'd like to convert the system to something more modern and still use the existing wiring. I've searched the internet and it's information overload. I sounds like all I need to do is upgrade the existing control panel and add a new key pad? I plan to self-monitor (not paying a monthly fee) but want to be able to use my phone to engage/dis-engage the system.

Not sure if I can do it all in one system but I would like to add some security cameras and be able to open/close the garage door.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I went to www.alarmliquidators.com but again over loaded with information.

Old 01-05-19, 04:39 PM
M
You are correct in your assumption that the conversion will be quite easy. Basically all you have to do at you said is to change the main panel, keypads and possibly some of the sensors. Especially motion sensors or glass break detectors should be considered for replacement.

Alarm Liquidators the site you looked at basically sells Honeywell equipment which is middle-of-the-road equipment. We have a GE Networx system which is very similar. Anything systems are able to do what you are wanting to do without too much difficulty. They all take a little while to get the hang of how to program them but once you could over the initial learning curve they are very easy to do.

Here's a good site for alarm equipment: https://www.alarmsystemstore.com/collections/networx Here's a website with forums for all shapes and sizes of alarm equipment: DIY Home Security Systems. Alarm system technical help - Index

Old 01-05-19, 06:27 PM
I
Look at qolsys or 2gig security systems. They both have wired bridge type devices that integrate existing wired zones/contacts into their control panel. I have a wired home that I purchased that had wired contacts on every window and external door. It had a non-functional Bosch security control panel (2007). I replaced that panel with a Honeywell Vista 20p, kept all wired connections and added 4 wireless motion detectors. In 2017, I upgraded the panel to a 2gig system, which basically made me get rid of the Vista 20p panel, but was able to reuse the wired connections. This is the system: https://www.2gig.com/products/peripherals/super-switch/ You can cascade multiple "take" modules to add more connections (I needed 3). This device basically converts the zones/contacts into wireless zones. Qolsys has the same type of approach. I then added a few glass breaks, redid my smoke detectors with wireless devices. Works really well. I subscribe to the idea that if you have wire or can use wire, use it (same thing with network connections). If I was to do this today, I would go with the Qolsys as their panels are nicer (IMO), secondary panels are nice. They have a definite edge on the wireless connectivity as they encrypt the transmissions between the end points (any or most of them). They also have nice motion detectors that have image capturing built in. These 2 systems also incorporate z-wave for automation integration. THere are video options as well, including door bell video options (like ring, but integrated). Downside; these work with alarm.com which implies you need a subscription. Depending on what you subscribe to, you are looking at between 20 to 50 bucks. Lot's of online dealers to sell you the hardware and services to save a few $$ and stay away from the big guys + long contracts.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: