Setting up DSC PGM1 to act like a NC zone

Old 01-13-19, 10:32 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Setting up DSC PGM1 to act like a NC zone

I have the need to wire a Zwave wireless door/window contact with external terminals to my DSC 1832 panel so that when the NC contact is triggered it sends an Open state to a Zwave hub. Normally these external terminals are used to attach a magnetic reed switch to cover an additional window or door.

My my thought was to use the external terminals to run a wire to the PGM1 and COM to create a NC zone like state. Then I could trigger the PGM1 to open the ďzoneĒ and trigger the Zwave sensor.

Is this possible? I know I donít want to put voltage on the external terminals just some resistance that will trigger the wireless sensor much like a wired NC zone with a magnetic door reed switch

thanks

Old 01-19-19, 08:11 AM
Z
No One? Nothing? So I have stumped even the the great MrRonFL? Find that hard to believe. I must not have asked the question right.

Let me try this. How can I wire the PGM1 to trip the NC state of a zone? I need the PGM1 function because it can be programmed for different events on the panel. So if you think about a zone that has be wired serially, the triggered PGM1 would break the NC serially wired Zone. Is this just another dry contact setup and I need a relay wired to the PGM1?

Thanks,

Old 01-19-19, 02:03 PM
T
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
In the 1832 Programming Manual, look under PGM Output Options and Programmable Output Attributes and see if the panel can do what you want. If it will do what you want, post the info and then I'll know enough to talk about the hardware side.

Old 01-19-19, 07:02 PM
Z
Thanks ThisOldMan. Yes the PGM output I would be triggering off is a zone follower. Probably should have said that at the start.

In that scenario, Zone1 would trigger on the DSC panel. I would then like the PGM1 to follow that Zone 1 trigger and create an Open Contact event on the device where the output on the wire would go from 0Ω to MΩ (creating resistance on the wire).

In essence I'm bridging two systems using an external wireless contact. Hope that makes sense.

Old 01-20-19, 06:46 AM
P
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Connect the PGM output to an SPDT relay to use it with your Z-wave contact (contact wired to NC and COM terminals on relay), or use a Z-wave trigger and replace your Z-wave contact.

Old 01-20-19, 11:07 AM
Z
Thanks Pondscum. When you say Zwave trigger.. what specific device are you referring to? My approach is a bit of a kluge.. so if there is a better device to use I would be interested. I wish they made an x-10 Powerflash for Zwave

Old 01-20-19, 04:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 111 Posts
Volunteer forum: Not online 24-7

That said:

Yes, using the PGM output to trigger a relay is the correct configuration. You can use type 29 for zone follower (zone 1-8), and then in programming location 501, you can select what zones the output should follow.

Installer manual: http://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=17007

Old 01-21-19, 03:30 PM
Z
ok thanks everyone. Just seems like the answer to all PGM functionality is to wire a relay! Thought it would be much simpler maybe by adding a resistor. If anyone knows what the difference between the electric flowing through a zone vs electric flowing through PGM is I would be interested.

Old 01-21-19, 05:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The PGM is essentially a switched ground. You can "invert" it and make it a positive voltage output, but with drastically limited current capacity, but that's not the best way to use it.

Anytime you are trying to connect to a zone input on something like a wireless transmitter, you have to have a clean "dry" contact.

Old 01-22-19, 07:54 PM
Z
PGM wired directly to Zone Input

Hey MrRonFL. What do you make of this wiring of the PGM to Zone input to trigger a short rather than using a relay?

https://safehomecentral.com/wp-content/uploads/Telguard_Addendum_DSC_CP01_NEO_2018.pdf

Old 01-23-19, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes that configuration works. When the EOL resistor is used, you can trip a zone by shorting across it. Since the PGM is a switched ground (and all grounds on the board are electrically connected), connecting it to the zone input creates the functionality of normally open contact closing.

(That configuration was probably created to let a modern system, all of which are built with the automatic stay arming if entry exit zone isn't violated, retrofit onto an older installation that uses mechanical keyswitches).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: