DSC 1832 - Wireless issue impacting all wireless sensors.

Old 01-14-19, 10:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy DSC 1832 - Wireless issue impacting all wireless sensors.

Hello...I have a DSC 1832 system that I installed back in 2008 and it's been up and running without much trouble ever since. That changed a couple weeks ago where all my wireless zones showed "trouble".

I have an EyezOn internet module, which showed the following in the logs when the issue started:

"2019-01-06 15:53:45","Dining Room Window 1 Trouble "
"2019-01-06 15:53:45","Living Room Window 1 Trouble "
"2019-01-06 15:53:44","Front Bedroom Window 1 Trouble "
"2019-01-06 15:53:44","Middle Bedroom Window 2 Trouble "
"2019-01-06 15:53:44","Middle Bedroom Window 1 Trouble"
"2019-01-06 15:53:43","Office Window 2 Trouble "
"2019-01-06 15:53:42","Office Window 1 Trouble "
"2019-01-06 15:53:41","Entry Door Trouble "
"2019-01-06 13:17:04","Opening By User Master Account- Partition 1"

I figured the system needed a reboot, so I did. No joy.

Fast forward to today, where a new RFK5500 keypad arrived. This keypad has a built in wireless module, for communicating with wireless sensors. I purchased a replacement thinking the wireless received in my original RFK5500 went bad, causing all my wireless zones to show trouble and not work. I installed it, re-programmed it will all the wireless HEX codes and such...and it still doesn't appear to work.

I pulled one of my wireless sensors from a window, replaced the battery, confirmed the HEX code and tested it with the 904 [Wireless Module Placement Test] section of my DSC 1832...and nothing.

I'm out of ideas, and would really appreciate any ideas you may have.

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-19, 07:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
The programming for the wireless module is _supposed_ to be independent of the main panel programming, but all I can think of to suggest would be to default the whole shooting match and try starting from scratch. It almost seems as if the alarm control isn't getting and processing data from the wireless module built into the keypad.

Old 01-16-19, 03:17 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
Did you make any changes in the house when the problem occurred? It could be a innocuous (resulting in a hand to the forehead when you realize it). I'm casting wide here, but maybe a large mirror moved near the panel or new LED bulbs?

Old 01-21-19, 10:20 AM
J
Thanks for the replies.

MrRonFL: I am gearing up to reset the entire system...but want to spend some more time troubleshooting before I do. It's been so long since I programed the panel, I'm not looking forward to that!

ThisOldMan: I did just install some new LED lights, but it was a couple weeks before we started having trouble. I was going to kill the main breaker to the house and see if the trouble goes away. I also heard the suggestion to (one-by-one) pull the battery out of each of my ~20 wireless sensors. Someone was saying sensors can sometimes go bad, saturating the 433 band. We are having weirdness with other wireless devices around the house (garage door opener sometimes doesn't work, wireless temp sensor hasn't worked for weeks). I'm just hoping that the source of the interference is within my house/control.

Thanks again for your advice. I will report back when I find the source.

Old 01-21-19, 05:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
It definitely sounds like you have some kind of RF interference. It may be smarter to power down some of the recent additions, one by one, and see if things improve.

It's really rare for a long operational system to have something like this happen without a major hardware failure. Since you are saying other wireless devices are having issues, I'm inclined to suggest starting with other devices.

Old 01-28-19, 06:14 AM
J
Problem resolved!

I spent sometime on this over the weekend and everything is working fine now.

I ended up pulling all the batteries out of the 20 wireless sensors, one at a time, testing for a bad apple. They all seemed fine.

Then I pulled the batteries out of all the garage door opener remotes. When I did this, I still had all the batteries out of all the wireless sensors, so at first glance it looked like all the zones were still in “trouble”.

Frustrated, I left things in this state until the next day. The next morning I tested one of the wireless sensors and it stated working. After putting the batteries back in all the sensors, they all came back online. No trouble light!

I put the batteries back in all the garage door remotes, and everything still works, which is confusing.

My theory is that the trouble was caused by one of two things:
1) Some external interference that I had no control over, and that happened to switch off over the weekend.
2) One of the garage door remotes was the culprit, and pulling the battery reset it to not flood the 433 spectrum with interference.

I’m just happen it’s working again, even if it’s a mystery why it’s working again.

Thanks for all the ideas and help.