5800 motion sensor question

Old 01-15-19, 07:53 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
5800 motion sensor question

Hello everyone I recently bought a irobot Roomba to clean my living room and was wondering if the Honeywell 5800 wireless sensor would ignore it since its not 80 pounds. I'm not sure what technology the motion sensor uses like heat or microwave so I'm not sure if a moving robot would set the motion sensor off. I use to have a dog that was 7 pounds and it didn't trip the motion sensor.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-19, 09:29 AM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
The P in PIR stands for passive, meaning it emits no signal involved with detection. A microwave motion detector is an active device, emitting a microwave RF signal and looking for a Doppler Shift in the RF signals reflected back to it (read -- uses a lot of power). Ergo: Your motion detector is a PIR.

Will the motion detector "see" it? I have not idea, but can envision involved arguments for both yes and no.

Unless someone else can provide a definitive answer, I guess the only way to find out is to put the system on test (assuming its monitored) and try it. Let us know!

Old 01-15-19, 01:33 PM
C
Received 34 Votes on 33 Posts
Agree with ThisOldMan: My intuitive answer is that if your PIR is pet-friendy/resistant (no such thing as immune, not yet), then it'll overlook the small changes in background IR pattern (which is how a PIR works) caused by a rambling Roomba, but I wouldn't stake any BIG money on it without extensive testing. I'd be interested in hearing how well your PIR (5800PIR?) tolerates the Roomba.

It occurs to me that you may need to mask off the look-down lens, but I'd give it a chance first.

Old 01-15-19, 05:20 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Yes I have the 5800PIR. I decided to put the system on test mode. Then tell Alexa to arm the vista 20p and the told Alexa to tell the roomba to start cleaning so I Can stay in my room where thereís no motion sensor and it didnít trip any of the motion sensors. The roomba ran all over the place playing back my GoPro camera and the sensor ignored it just like my dog when it ran around the home with the system armed to away. It was a fun experiment to try out and Iím glad the Honeywell pir are roomba friendly.