ADEMCO Vista 10P- Intermittent Siren when Triggered.

Old 01-15-19, 09:15 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ADEMCO Vista 10P- Intermittent Siren when Triggered.

I have an old ADEMCO Vista 10P/10PSIA system. Recently we noticed that when the alarm is triggered the siren outside of the house blasts for about 2-3 seconds then stops. Internally the system is acting normal when tripped. Central service is getting the trip call. Is this a common problem for older systems, with a simple fix? Wondering if replacing the outdoor siren would resolve the issue?
Thank You

Old 01-15-19, 02:04 PM
C
Received 73 Upvotes on 65 Posts
A siren consists of a driver & speaker, sometimes but not always in the same housing. I always preferred installing a separate driver board in the control panel cabinet and a speaker in the outside box, especially for outside sirens, because I tried to keep as much of the system as possible where I could access it easily for service.
I really hated climbing up a ladder to fix an outside siren during a winter rain (and yes, every service tech with any experience has had to do that).

So my first question is whether your siren is completely contained in the outside box (I assume it's protected by a box if it's outside, but that's not always true), or is there a driver board, usually in the control panel? Follow the siren wires from the Vista-10P Terminals 3 and 4, and see if they just disappear in the wild blue yonder or go to a PCB (Printed Circuit Board). That PCB would be the siren driver.

Test whether the V-10P Panel is putting out 12VDC power on 3 and 4 while it's supposed to be sounding the siren. Try it with siren connected and disconnected, if the voltage drops to _way_ under 12VDC.

Another thing to try is take the wires to the siren (the pair connected to 3 and 4) and, OBSERVING POLARITY, touch them directly on the 12V battery and see if the siren sounds for more than a few seconds.

Definitely try testing as much as you can before you go replacing things. Troubleshooting-By-Replacing-Parts tends to be expensive and time-consuming.

If it turns out that it's a self-contained siren (driver & speaker in one housing) that's bad, I would consider replacing it with a slightly more expensive separate driver-and-speaker set---If you have to go outside and up a ladder to fix this, you'll understand why. If it's the driver that fails, it's easier to troubleshoot and a lot easier to replace.
Also--I used to put a one(1) Ohm, 10 Watt resistor on the driver output, in line between one output terminal and the speaker. That pretty much made blown speakers vanishingly rare and only diminishes the volume a tiny bit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: