Honeywell smoke detector question

Old 01-23-19, 10:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Honeywell smoke detector question

Hello everyone I was on eBay recently trying to find a sealed 5800 smoke and heat detector combo and found one for a great deal. The only issue is that it has a date code of 2006. Does photoelectric smoke detector expire just by sitting in a sealed box ? The nest protects I have has a sell by date on the box so Iím not sure.

Old 01-23-19, 11:25 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Smoke detectors do have a use life of around 10 years so like buying that gallon of milk I'd be looking for the most recent date!

Old 01-24-19, 06:34 AM
C
Received 73 Upvotes on 65 Posts
in general, electronic circuit boards age well and it's not the electronics that give the smoke sensors the 10-year lifespan. As I understand it, that 10-year limit comes from air circulating through the target chamber and eventually building up dust on the surfaces that give false alarms. (Some models of smoke sensor lend themselves to easily removing the target chamber so it can be cleaned thoroughly by blowing with canned air). Theoretically that extends the useful sensor life.

I personally wouldn't worry about a smoke sensor that has really been sealed up for many years, but I'm also a little wary of eBay. I buy a lot of stuff there, but I'm wary of anything whose packaging integrity I can't verify. I don't buy smoke sensors off eBay, but that's just me.
I'd wait for any other tech(s) to weigh in on the question.

Old 01-27-19, 12:49 PM
C
Received 73 Upvotes on 65 Posts
Andoy33, I wanted to add something to my last message to try to clarify my assessment . Professional-grade alarm system photoelectric type smoke sensors _very_ rarely fail to detect smoke when they're properly installed and maintained. That's true of those smokes that are younger _and_ older than 10 years. The risk of a 10-yr-old smoke isn't so much that it won't sense smoke as that it may start false-alarming from accumulated crud in the target chamber.

In other words, you aren't betting your _life_ on a older smoke so much as you're betting that it won't start falsing randomly. The risk is that you (and possibly the fire dep't) will be greatly inconvenienced and you'll have to buy and replace yet another unit, and those things aren't cheap. Which is why I can understand wanting to take advantage of a bargain if it IS a bargain.

Your risk assessment is different than mine. I'm retired but I still take care of a few personal customers' systems. I have installed some replacement equipment I bought off eBay and that I tested thoroughly first. I would not install an eBay smoke whose provenance I can't verify because in that case, I would be risking not just the cost of the smoke but also the cost of a return trip and, to some extent, my customers' confidence. But my concern isn't that the brand-name photoelectric smokes wouldn't still sense smoke in the case of a fire.

On the other hand, if I were looking to install smokes in my own home, I wouldn't have any qualms about buying a good enough bargain off eBay, after assessing whether the smoke really probably had been sealed most of its useful service life. Was it sealed in an airtight cover? Those smokes, I believe, come with an airtight snap-on cover on the smoke itself, and are enclosed in cardboard boxes. Being "sealed" in just the cardboard box itself, isn't "sealed." It might also have been wrapped and taped in a plastic bag, which would constitute being sealed airtight.

I'd also disassemble the smoke for a thorough cleaning (air can) of the circuit board and target chamber before installing it, if I did install an eBay smoke for myself.

As it happens (off-topic) I rent rather than own, so I can't install my preferred smokes; so I'm betting my life on 120VAC line-power Ionization smoke detectors that everybody here knows are less reliable than professional-grade alarm system smokes. Now that I think of it, I've never tested the smoke detector in my bedroom. The smokes near the kitchens get "tested" regularly.

Mitigating that are the fact that home heating is from heat exchanger (no oil or gas in house), kitchen stoves and water heaters are electric, no resident in the house smokes, and I sleep on the ground floor, ten feet from an exit door.

Old 01-27-19, 09:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Yes the smoke detector I eyed on eBay is airtight sealed still in the red bag with the orange cap looking at the photos. It doesn’t hurt just to be extra safe and test the detectors when I purchased it and clean the chaimbers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: