any chance to reuse the old security camera cable?

Old 01-28-19, 08:53 AM
any chance to reuse the old security camera cable?

Previous owner had an old security camera installed at the garage, not sure if it is working or not and the only thing I know is it has a cable connecting to it.

I want to get it replaced with a new camera, the new camera has a connector which takes 15V 1A as power input, (please see the red square in the photo).

I was wondering if it is possible to reuse the old cable from the old security camera and somehow to hook it up to my new camera? My contractor told me it is not possible but I am still hoping that is something doable, thanks!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-19, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
It all depends on what wiring you have there now and what your new camera requires. I have reused the wiring for my security system when I upgraded so it is possible. It looks like you have RG-59 or RG-6 coax which you can reuse if your new cameras are analog. If you are getting network cameras that require ethernet cable then it won't work.

Old 01-28-19, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Assuming your new camera is in the left picture. You need coax for the camera and a two conductor for power. The camera in the right picture (assuming the old one) looks like the same type of camera. Remove the base screws and pull the camera down to see the connections.

The problem with your new camera is that it uses a coaxial power plug and possibly a custom video plug. We can see them in the picture..... but not the type.

Old 01-28-19, 10:41 AM
Thanks, The new one uses wireless for network connection so no issue there. Still need to figure out what cable the old has now

Old 01-28-19, 10:52 AM
Yes, the new camera is on the left, it comes with three cables, but only 1 cable is for power, the other two are for network and other setting I don't think I will use anyhow.

The power cable can be plugged into its' adaptor, as can be seen from the photo below.

The only thing I need is power for the camera, the rest are easy.

Attached Images  
Old 01-28-19, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
So that camera will just require power. You would cut the plug off the AC adapter so that it could be used at the camera end. Splice the plug on outside. Splice the adapter on the wire inside.

If you look around the house..... you should find where the camera cables end.

Old 01-28-19, 04:13 PM
I was not able to find out where the cable goes, it ends up in the basement(i think), but nothing I can see around the house

Old 01-28-19, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
That is unfortunate because in order to re-use them.... you need to find them.

Old 01-29-19, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
Get creative when looking for the wires. With a DVR security camera setup a thief can simply steal the DVR with the evidence so they are sometimes hidden.

Old 02-12-19, 03:07 PM
I finally got a more closer look at the old security camera, I know this is a shot in the dark, but from the look of the pictures, any chance I can just remove the old camera and use the old cable to power the new camera? (I only need power for the new camera)

Attached Images   
Old 02-12-19, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
There is a good chance you can reuse the cable. The big issue will be the connector on the end. Worst case you can replace the plug with the style your new camera needs.

Old 02-12-19, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
We already discussed reusing the wire. You said you couldn't find where they went to.
Did you find the power supply end ?

The wire you see going into the wall/ceiling has an end or two ends on it.
You'll need to remove what looks like silicone around the cable.

Old 02-12-19, 04:05 PM
I still have not been able to find out where the wire is inside the house, I guess I am hoping I can just ignore where it goes to, as long as it can power the new camera, which is the only thing I need.

Old 02-12-19, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Each camera requires a different voltage. You'd have to know what the voltage and polarity of the old adapter and cable was before you risked connecting a new camera.