Wanting to Reconfigure Existing Brivo / Pulse System For New Business Office

Old 02-03-19, 06:30 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wanting to Reconfigure Existing Brivo / Pulse System For New Business Office

Hi All,

I'm new to the Forum, but not to DIY. I'm a Mechanic by trade and have spent my life trying to figure out how to do things for myself rather than simply paying people to do it for me. As the years tick by i'm finding that becoming increasingly more difficult as things move away from mechanics and into technology. I can get by, but also accept that sometimes you just need help.

My Issue : I've just signed a lease on a new office that is currently under ADT contract. The prior tenant has 1 year left of their 3 year contract and is having to pay off the balance. The ADT rep instantly tried to get me into a new contract, but i didn't take the "Special offer for you if you sign now" deal in hopes of trying to properly assess my monitoring options. I may or may not opt for central monitoring. The building has 1 keypad, 1 Brivo maglock & RFID on the front door, and 2 cameras for the Pulse remote viewing. The rep said that i needed to give him access to the building so that he could "power down" the system. I'm assuming that means he wants to lock it out of external use?

I would like to use the system as a standalone alarm, and try to figure out how to incorporate the cameras & maglock into either office desktop application, or possibly remote access / viewing.

The panel has a bunch of boards with a bunch of numbers. I've attached a picture because it's easier than trying to describe it. There's a Brivo controller, Pulse modem & cell transmitter. There's also another box that i think is something to do with fire, and 1 more small one by itself. I'd really like to know & understand the system.

I primarily need to know how to manually control the maglock. I have 4 rfid transponders that were programmed by the prior tenant before disconnection using the Brivo web portal. Now this account is no longer active i have no way to reprogram transponders, nor can i manually activate/deactivate the lock beyond the egress button. I assume is has to be as simple as a circuit switch, but haven't opened up the brivo box to find out yet. i really want to keep the rfid access. I had the deadlock on the door re-keyed straight away to make sure i had control over that not knowing who else may have a programmed transponder.

Can the panel that have be used outside of ADT or is it propriety to them? Same question for Brivo, ADT Netgear router & cell phone dallier module?

Thanks in advance for any help here, it's really appreciated.

Derek

Name:  a1.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  236.1 KB

Name:  a2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  150.2 KB

Name:  a3.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  a4.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  a5.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  75.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-03-19 at 12:00 PM. Reason: resized/reoriented/cropped/labeled pics
Old 02-03-19, 12:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I worked over your pictures and added numbers to them,

1) It's a variation of the Honeywell Vista 20P alarm board with wireless receiver.
2) Looks to be an output expansion board with relays.
3) Power supply for the actual door lock.
4) ADT cellular communicator. (can't be re-used)
5) Brivo - IP based door control module.

Here's your problem..... in a commercial application.... ADT is not going to just walk away from their system. It's only there on a lease basis.

Old 02-04-19, 03:18 AM
A
Here's your problem..... in a commercial application.... ADT is not going to just walk away from theirsystem. It's only there on a lease basis.
From what i understand they are leaving the system in place. They initially said they were coming in to remove it, but as the last tenant is having to pay up their contract in full then an argument ensued & the result was that the system is now owned by them as it was a 3 year lease to own deal & they paid for all 3 years.

So the cell module is proprietary, and the rest can be reconfigured? I'm also led to believe from what i've been reading that if the system is owned by the customer then they should give you the installer code? I'm seeing conflicting information here from different places. Them wanting to come in and "power down" means they are going to lock the keypad panel out correct? Is this what that installer code is needed for, or does the power board itself need that code no matter what is going on with the keypad?

Old 02-04-19, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not well versed in Honeywell panels and those used directly by ADT. If it is the Vista 20P.... then it should be able to be reprogrammed by you. Mr Ron.... the forum pro could shed more light on it.

The system is called a "lease" but I thought ADT still owned the equipment. I do mostly commercial work and they have come in and removed their panels.

Old 02-04-19, 07:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
The "Safewatch 3000" is just a modified Vista 20p and works just fine without the original installer's assistance. As pointed out, the cell dialer is linked to their network.

Just a quick look at the door controller's site leads me to suspect that all of set up, configuration and control for that Brivo unit (https://www.brivo.com/) requires dealer support (probably ADT), but there are other single point card and token readers that will do the same job to operate the maglock. Essentially it's a fancy relay control box.

Old 02-11-19, 05:53 PM
A
Just a quick look at the door controller's site leads me to suspect that all of set up, configuration and control for that Brivo unit (https://www.brivo.com/) requires dealer support (probably ADT), but there are other single point card and token readers that will do the same job to operate the maglock. Essentially it's a fancy relay control box.
I believe that to be the case. I contacted Brivo tech support last week for assistance and their response was "see a dealer" It works just fine as is, but i can never program any new rfid tags, or see access information. I'd like to find an alternative controller for that. I had thought when i took the controller off the wall that it may be accessible via Ethernet cable, as well as what i think is a USB-A connector directly on the board labelled "admin" - Not tried connecting to them yet but the Brivo rep stated that it can not be accessed any other way besides cloud.

A local alarm company with much lower monitoring rates said they can take over the panel no problem. I was going to try self monitoring but our business insurance requires central monitoring.

Old 02-11-19, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Ask the alarm company about a card access system. There are several basic systems you can get. You need a card reader, controller, request to exit button and new tags. You already have the lock and power supply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: