Camera with a hard wired power source

Old 03-04-19, 07:32 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Camera with a hard wired power source

Iím looking for an exterior security camera to monitor a building entrance. There is a 120 Volt AC power source available at the location we wish to mount the camera. The problem is most cameras Iíve reviewed have USB or receptacle plug-in transformers to power the camera. As the camera and power source are outdoors, I do not want a plug-in power connection. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-19, 07:42 AM
H
Received 95 Votes on 84 Posts
Others will chime in, but I think you'll find that many outside cameras are available that use weatherproof power-over-ethernet that provides both power and signal connection.

Old 03-04-19, 07:49 AM
E
POE would work but I was really looking for a wireless transmission so no cables would need to be run as cable routing in this case would be extremely difficult.

If I can power the wireless camera from the available exterior power source then that would make installation simple. I'm surprised that many exterior cameras have power cables that require use of a plug-in transformer, seems like a contradiction for something listed as exterior yet requiring a permanent plug-in, not hard wired solution.

Last edited by ednu99; 03-04-19 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-04-19, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,108 Votes on 1,028 Posts
I'm surprised that many exterior cameras have power cables that require use of a plug-in transformer.
I think all consumer grade cameras use a plug in transformer or low voltage due to UL listing.
The camera would need to be completely redesigned to accept 120v which would push the cost prohibitively high.

Old 03-04-19, 08:31 AM
E
I understand the low voltage design but why not a solution that incorporates a transformer that could be installed in a junction box. The camera could then be mounted to the JB with no visible wiring. A plug in requirement just seems temporary and as mentioned not very suitable for an exterior product.

Even if I could get the power cable to the interior, the cable would need to be external to the walls in order to eventually attach to the plug-in transformer. Not a very sightly solution imo.

Old 03-04-19, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,108 Votes on 1,028 Posts
Anything that is done like that requires a UL listing. I can't think of a transformer that would fit comfortably in a junction box and be accepted. Typically..... line and low voltage are not contained within the same junction box. I've been installing cameras for many years. It is understood that they need a low voltage supply. It doesn't have to be a plug in supply. It could be a transformer that mounts to the side of a box like a chime transformer.

Anything more than that and you'd need to contact a manufacturer. No one is going to produce a product that has a limited marketplace.

If you have a 120v receptacle at that location..... use an in-use cover over it and put a small transformer inside of that.

Old 03-04-19, 05:00 PM
E
Thanks PJ, I did consider a door bell transformer, it was just that having either a plug-in or external mount transformer outdoors didn't seem like a good solution. Sounds like I need to reconsider.

Only other drawback is that I can only get this mounted about 7' high in the entry way so it's probably going to be easily tampered with.