6160VADT Display Issues

Old 03-06-19, 01:20 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 6160VADT Display Issues

My situation: I have a ADT Safewatch Pro 3000 with two keypads, a 6160 and 6160V supplied by an ADT installer about ten years ago. I no longer subscribe to monitoring which means service is out of the question. The two line display on the 6160V seems to be failing. The characters drift. After a cold start, removing batteries and AC, the display looks normal. However after arming the system which causes new messages to be displayed and then disarming the system, the characters start to drift, seemingly one or two at a time, into gibberish. They don't pixelate and are not dim. They just randomly start to change to random alphanumeric characters and symbols. I swapped the keypads and powered the system back up and got the same result. My question: I understand the keypad is effectively the monitor for the controller much like a video display for a PC. Is the keypad gone or is there a problem in the control unit? I've tested smokes and alarms and all seems to work including the voice on the 6160V Keypad.

thanks in advance! looking for any insights you might have..
regards,
-Pete

Old 03-06-19, 03:57 PM
C
Received 73 Upvotes on 65 Posts
Both keypads get the same data from the Control Panel, so if only one keypad has the display issue, then it's a problem with the keypad and not the Panel.

Before you replace it, you might try powering down the Panel for a minute (unplug transformer and take one wire off battery), then power back up and see if that resets the keypad display. If it's still doing it, you'll need either to live with it, or replace the keypad.

Right now I see a new one on Amazon for $75 or a used one on eBay for $52. Changing out a keypad is a quick & easy job, you only need to know the keypad address. Your 2 keypads are probably addressed at 16 and 17, or _possibly_ 17 and 18. Press and hold the 1 and 3 keys simultaneously for 3 seconds until it beeps and shows a 2-digit number. That's the address. When you install the new keypad, you'll simply need to enter that number and it's ready.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: