Need Help with DSC PC1555

Old 03-11-19, 04:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Help with DSC PC1555

Apologize for not remembering, but it seems every 5-8 years this security system needs attention and I have to 'learn' the whole thing over- till next time.. Trouble is the cobwebs in the are getting thicker..
I have PC1555RKZ LED keypads and the old DSC PC1555 system that is 20 years old. I have the manuals. There are 6 Zones programmed. Z-1 and Z-2 are Smoke detectors and Z-3 thru Z-6 are motion detectors. I had some issues with the 4-wire smoke detectors, which I think I have corrected. Now the 4 motion detectors are chirping when they sense movement and I need to silence them.
Can someone please walk me through the keystrokes to program them?
After I finally got the smoke detectors working I don't want to poke around too much on my own for fear of screwing it up
THANKS in advance

Old 03-11-19, 07:37 PM
C
Received 73 Upvotes on 65 Posts
Program them to do what?

If you only have 4 burglary zones and they're all motion sensors, that leads me to suspect that you only arm the system when you leave the house and they're programmed as perimeter devices so they're active anytime the system is armed (Stay or Away), since you don't actually have any usual perimeter contacts on your doors and windows in your system.

Which makes me suspect you don't usually use the "Chime" feature, so you don't recognize it when it's on...? Refer to the "Door Chime Feature" in your User Manual, page 13 in the manual I googled.

Press *4 to toggle the Chime on/off, and see if the chirping stops.

Old 03-18-19, 07:12 AM
J
Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I had a computer crash and it was a MAJOR issue getting it back on the line.(System drive and OS reload)

I installed the DSC PC1555 20 years ago and use it for monitoring 5 fire alarms. (I try to avoid re-learning how it works but about 3 times I've had to deal with it) The 4 motion detectors only sense/show on the 2 control panels IF someone is rooting around in the house and where. The motion detectors do not activate an alarm system like the fire detectors do. The sensors when detecting motion individually show a red LED (briefly) and chirp. They did not chirp originally and were not set to initiate an alarm.
This all may sound screwy but I'm in the country and there is no one around to hear any alarms if I were gone anyway.
Much appreciated.

Old 03-21-19, 11:18 AM
J
Exclamation Any Help?

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks

Old 03-21-19, 04:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
Volunteer forum, not manned 24-7...

That said: Since you have all motions; the simple solution is to turn the chime feature off.

Installer manual: https://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13789

Otherwise, you can set the motions all as interior zones (which don't chime), since it sounds like you aren't actually arming the system.

Old 03-21-19, 04:29 PM
J
Thank you sir, I'll try to run with that. (#4) changed nothing.

Old 03-22-19, 02:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, what _zone type_ do you have these zones programmed as?

Old 03-22-19, 04:20 PM
J
Notice I typed the [#][4] above meant as[*][4] (to toggle chime on and off-didn't work)

I installed and programmed this code into the system 20 years ago. With ageing memory I'm not sure why I chose the various zone types for the motion sensors. I believe the two upper main floor ones were programmed with (Zone Type) delays to allow for arming/disarming when exiting and entering. I believe Originally set and are still set as:
Zone 1- Main Fire Alarm String- Zone Type [08]
Zone 2- Attic Fire Alarm [08]
(These seem to monitor and function properly as-is)
Zone 3- Motion MainFloor Rear- [04]
Zone 4- Motion MainFloor Front- [01]
Zone 5- Motion Basement Rear [03]
Zone 6- Motion Basement Front [03]

Originally the system had the ability to be set for the alarm horn to function on the four motion detectors. They never 'chirped' before as I recall even when armed. As the 'away-set' ability was never used they have just used to reflect any movement on the keypads. Twenty years is a long time to recall but I THINK these settings and the Zone Attributes have been left the same as originally set.
Appreciate your time Mr Ron, Thanks

Old 03-22-19, 06:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Motions don't chirp. Are you hearing this sound from the system keypad?

Old 03-23-19, 09:06 AM
J
Yes sir, the 'chirp' emits from the system keypad when a motion detector senses movement.

Old 03-23-19, 02:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It means that you have the chime feature turned on. I'm not sure why you are unable to turn it back off. It's a basic command. There are no tricks or special codes required.

If you have not altered (or attempted to alter) you zone programming; then that's the only thing that would have the chime activate when you pass one of the motions.

Old 03-24-19, 08:48 AM
J
The last paragraph is probably the best suggestion yet. Briefly, my home is going to be put up for sale and compared to newer systems like SimplySafe it is crazy complicated and I didn't want to overload the mind of a prospective buyer. So, I was considering negating the FireAlarms (replacing with individual battery operated units) and leaving the motion detectors operating as only on-panel tattle tales.
I started to proceed with this idea following page-5, 2.6 and 2.7 directions and also changing Zone Programming for Zones 1 and 2 for [00] (null zones). When this turned into a "goat-rope" I decided to put it back as it was and abort the FireAlarm modification idea. After this the FireAlarm sensors check out by both test button and magnet. The Zone 1-2 FireAlarm strings are working as they should but since that time all four MotionDetectors started to 'chirp' once when entering their field and once when leaving.
I don't <think> I changed any Zone Attributes but apparently I must have..

Old 03-27-19, 10:54 AM
J
MR RON- Any chance of getting getting this Manual posted again? Installer manual: https://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13789
I looked at it and saw it was the same as I have but didn't download/save it. The one I had has become so marked up with notations I went back to reprint it and it won't open. Still working on the bloody 'chirp'..
Thanks

Old 03-27-19, 12:02 PM
J
Please Disregard- I located one online.

Old 03-27-19, 03:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I was about to say, this link is to the DSC website: https://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13789

Old 03-29-19, 01:14 PM
J
Thumbs up

Thanks for the help. I like to close out my inquiries with a disposition, so here goes:
I was hesitant to dabble in the programming for fear of messing-up the smoke detectors operation but had to risk it. Finally got back into the code input procedure and reset the interior motion detectors to [04] Interior Zone. I found that the Zone Attributes for all four motion detectors was in fact set for 'chime-on' so it was reset 'off'. Before, they never 'chirped' and it puzzled me why they started 'chirping' when you entered their field and stayed silent, then 'chirped' once again when you left it. I don't see how I could have changed all four of the #3 attributes unknowingly- but I apparently managed somehow.
Now the smoke detector string checks out with the panel test button and the magnet test (MN240 Series) and all the Motion Detectors will arm if necessary.
Life is good again

Old 03-29-19, 03:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally the only time you have to mess with the zone attribute settings are when you are dealing with wireless zones, or doing something unusual with one of the standard zone types. You may have thought you were in a different programming location...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: