Alarm equipment with no monitoring service

Old 03-18-19, 07:17 PM
Alarm equipment with no monitoring service

I live in a new construction home where we had the builders hard wire the home with a security system. The contract we signed is getting ready to expire and I'm looking at DIY options like Abode. My question is, if I cancel the monitoring service, will the alarm still work as far as sounding off if triggered? I realize the company would not be monitoring the system nor would I get notifications on the app, etc., however, will the alarm itself still be operational in that if I set it to away and an intrusion is detected, it will sound off. Or if a door is opened while I'm home, will the alarm beep as it does now?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-19, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
If the system is yours...... you can shut the communicator off and use it as a local alarm. If you don't have the communications disabled..... it will be in constant trouble and beep.

Some systems can be programmed to call a cell phone with an alarm notification.

If you know where the alarm panel is... see if you can determine what it is. It may be on the inside of the cover.

Old 03-18-19, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the response. By shutting the communicator off, do you mean disconnecting the phone connection? It uses cellular communication but I see a phone jack connection. Attached are pictures of the panel and system box.

Edit: I just disconnected the phone jack in the bottom right hand corner of the picture but I was still able to arm/disarm the system from my phone.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-20-19 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Removed pictures per OP - 3/20/19
Old 03-18-19, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
I resized your pictures. You only have 10mb of storage and they were over 6mb.

You may have a hardwired phone line with cellular backup. I don't see the cellular unit in those pictures. The two antennas on the panel are for wireless devices inside the house. I see two data bus connections which tells me one keypad and the cellular communicator.

You're paying for cellular service thru your monitoring agreement. If that ends.... the cellular will be shutdown. The remote control thru your phone is part of the cellular package.

Old 03-19-19, 02:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 72
FWIW, my alarm system has never been hooked up to a service. It works fine that way although not having a service takes away some of the security as all you have is the blaring siren if the system gets tripped. Mine doesn't have any cellphone or PC properties.

Old 03-19-19, 06:47 AM
I know for sure its using cellular, not a landline. Is there any way to disable/disconnect the cellular connection so that it doesn't do the beeps as you described?

Old 03-19-19, 04:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 21
It requires access to installer programming to disable the communicator function. Do you know your installer code? (this is different from the regular arm/disarm code)

Old 03-19-19, 08:57 PM
I don't know the installer code

Old 03-20-19, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no "back door" into programming on a Concord. Short of a lucky guess at the installer code; the only other choice would be to have them come out on a service call to disable the communicator; and reset the installer code to one of your choice; or the factory default.

Old 04-02-19, 07:28 PM
I did some googling and was able to figure out the installer code. How do I disable the communicator with this code? I'd like to test this out. I'm currently still under contract and being monitored so is it wise to test this now or wait till its not being monitored? I found a user manual at the link below but could not figure out how to disable the communicator. I always thought disabling it would be a physical hardware modification rather than a programming thing.

Old 04-03-19, 03:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Disabling the dialer involves deleting the programmed phone numbers. It's not a simple on/off option.

Old 04-03-19, 08:32 AM
OK, I will read thru the installer manual to figure it out. Now that I have the installer code. I should be able to use the alarm as an un-monitored system, right? So I really don't need to worry about disarming the communicator?

Old 04-03-19, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
First caveat: Make sure you have a programming keypad model (look at the list in the front of your manual)

8 [installer code] 00 should put you into system programming

Navigate your way to the phones menu, and delete the CS phone numbers. That should disable the communicator.

Installer manual: https://static.interlogix.com/librar...ion-manual.pdf