Neighbors direct security lamp very annoying!

Old 03-21-19, 11:46 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Neighbors direct security lamp very annoying!

So I had neighbors on the side of me have their security lamps constantly flashing on/off towards my front door and full front yard. So I constructed a privacy fence to ease the burden of these annoying lights not to mention the cameras all over our Front yard on the account our house is set back from the street over 100 ft.
Well 6 months later, The idiots across the street decide to install 6 ADT cameras on their home. Then they realize they wanted more so they added 2 more motion ring lamps and one of them shoots right down our 90 foot driveway. Boy is that annoying on the account that they are situated 20 from the road and every time a car or person passes by these super bright lights blind us. Even if I am in my garage set back. Or if I need to walk or drive down our driveway. I am eventually going to ask them if they could redirect the lamps and make them less sensitive to motion.
The reason I am posting this here first is:1 they are obnoxious irritable ladies! 2nd I would like to know if there is any legal reasons I could use in my favor in case they state they are within the law.
I say this cause when I called the police to help me with my previous neighbors annoying lights and stalking cameras the officers general remark was "they are within the law".
I will also call zoning to comment on their very invasive direction of lamps but I know they will answer the same. I will also mention that its so bright to the point of blinding and makes it a bit of a safety hazard.
PS Oh let me mention we live on a Cul-de-sac and generally a very safe road.

Old 03-22-19, 01:29 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Having just gone through our fist revision of our zoning ordinances for the Planning department pn our township we have lighting requirements that state positions and intensity.

They were actually used to resolve a similar dispute between neighbors so it would be a good first step!

Old 03-22-19, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 259 Upvotes on 210 Posts
Likely to be a civil matter which tends to tie the hands of law enforcement.

Old 03-22-19, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
I would not count on any law being helpful here. Sometimes it needs to be a "tit for tat" approach.
I've helped a customer before.

Say absolutely nothing. Permanently or temporarily set up a motion light on your house. Make sure it's set to sensitive and make sure it's accidentally aimed a little high. Every times it goes off it will swamp the camera. If car coming around the circle trips one.... it'll trip both. The camera will be blind. It may take a little while to be noticed..... but it will be.

Old 03-22-19, 10:20 AM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
My first inclination was to say what PJ just said. But I must caution you on that tact. Use it as a last resort. Talk to the neighbor first. You might even bring a desert or small gift to show you're interested in helping both you and them. Then go to the town. Impress on them the safety factor involved. If none of this works then do the tit for tat. Most likely it will result in a neighborhood war. And it could end up in court and a ban on any lighting at all.

What about the neighbor on the side? Does he have anything to say about the across the street lighting?

Old 03-22-19, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Once the problem has been discussed......if the neighbor refused to listen...... tit for tat would result in a war. I would not advocate that. You need to tread carefully.

Old 03-22-19, 02:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,228 Upvotes on 1,988 Posts
Yea, war can be dangerous. You never know when someone like me lives across the street and thinks a searchlight would be a fun toy.

Old 03-22-19, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,947 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
Haha, that's awesome. Come to my house... my neighbor that leaves their outside light on 24-7 that shines right in my bedroom every night needs a dose of their own medicine... "how do you like THAT?" LOL

It's annoying because when I wake up at 3am the light makes me think it's dawn... then I can't get back to sleep!

Old 03-22-19, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Those carbon arc searchlights are awesome and are few and far between now.

Old 03-22-19, 03:57 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Guys, take a deep breathe!

First, try to talk to the neighbors, that is always the first step.

If that doesn't work contact your city/county/township and discuss their zoning ordinances for lighting, I guarantee there is something there that addresses this, that is your best option to give you the legal edge and puts the onus of resolution onto the city/county/township.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: