DSC security system problems

Old 04-23-19, 08:33 AM
DSC security system problems

Hi there,
I have a DSC security system which was working well prior to a lightening strike. After the strike, I had the service guy come out a few times which has not really fixed the system. It seems that some new problem keeps popping up. Hoping some one can help me as this system is starting to get expensive. Here are the following issues:

1) After the lightening strike, the ceiling pir( BV 501, I think) would cause the entry panel to constantly beep everytime I would walk by the PIR. I would have to go to the panel and press # in order to silence. After powering down the system in hopes of fixing the problem, the panel will only beep once if I walk by the PIR but atleast the beeping will now stop and not just constantly beep. My question is, is this beeping telling me that the PIR needs to be replaced or is this a programming issue? I opened up the PIR and it has 7 slots to accept wiring, there are currently 6 wires connected to it.

2) After the service guy came over, he left the siren wires disconnected from the main alarm box that is located in the basement. He also connected a jumper wire that runs from the sirens + and - terminal. Im guessing he left this disconnected as he was suppose to come back and install a wireless door sensor that was malfunctioning. I would like to re connect these. My house has two sirens. The color of wires are as follows.
SIren #1) Red, white and yellow wire. Yellow wire has been cut.
Siren #2) Red and yellow wires tied together and Black and green wires tied together.
How can I reconnect these wires back to the panel? Is it as easy as taking Red and yellow from siren # 2 and red wire from Siren #1 and place them into the + terminal of panel, and the remaining wires into the - terminal?

Thank you for your help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-19, 02:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If your motion detector is causing the keypad to beep when walked past (with the chime turned on, I assume), then that's a zone programming issue. Some older DSC panel models can get their programming scrambled if they run on a failing battery, or something like a lightning strike.

Hard to be more specific without knowing the model of the alarm system.

Wire colors are meaningless without knowing the brand/model of the sirens.

Old 04-24-19, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the response!! So I did some looking around again and I found the following model numbers.
1) keypad is PK5500
2) Model # of alarm system is 1616
3) Model # of ceiling PIR is BV 500GB
Siren issue fixed!!

After thinking more about this, when the service guy came over after the lightening strike, the kitchen ceiling PIR was causing the same beeps on keypad when the PIR sensed motion. He did fix this so Im guessing it is a program issue. At the time, it did not occur to me to have him check the basement ceiling PIR which is currently causing the beeps. Both are same models. I would gladly call him again, but Im trying to save some money if this is something I can easily fix. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-24-19, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The devices aren't really the issue, it's a system programming issue. Contacts and motions are just dumb switches/fancy relays.

If you have programming access, it's relatively easy to check.

Do you know your installer/programming code?

Old 04-24-19, 05:58 PM
I completely agree that it is programming and I do know the installer's code. Any further help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Old 04-24-19, 07:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is the full list of what your zones are supposed to be?

Old 04-25-19, 07:10 AM
I ran through the zones and here is what I found:
Back door 03
Mech room pir 05
Offic pir 05
Kitchen pir 05
Kitchen gb 05
Hall pir 05
Mech heat 08
CO detector 13
Elec room pir 05
Playroom Pir 05
Playroom gb 05
Foyer glass 00

The playroom pir/gb is causing the beeps. It is the same device as the kitchen pir/gb. Both are BV 500gb.
Thanks!!

Old 04-25-19, 08:13 AM
So I think I fixed the problem.
This is what I did.
#8, installers code, 101
under this section, option 3 was enabled which will allow a chime for zone violation.
After removing, the annoying chime stopped.
Thanks so much for your responses but I think the problem has been fixed!!!!!!!

Old 04-25-19, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the zone in question was zone 1, then yes, that was the correct fix.