Fault with caddx nx8e

Old 04-24-19, 01:06 AM
Fault with caddx nx8e

Hello,
I have a Caddx NX8E alarm system installed by the previous house owner in Greece 8 years ago. The system recently has the following problem:When zone 4 closes, zone 12 (which should be closed) appears open for an hour or so and then appears closed. Also, during that hour of the erroneous behaviour, if zone 12 opens, then it appears closed while zone 4 appears open. The behaviour of the system is normal when zone 4 opens, then zone 12 works at id should. When we arm the system to exit (assuming that both zones 4 and 12 are and appear closed), then after some time we get alarm signal from either zone 4 or 12 or both.Zone 4 is made up of 4 door magnetic contacts and zone 12 is made up of 2 motion detectors.I've tried to connect the circuit of zone 4 to a different zone (say zone 6) on the board, but the result is the same, ie zone 6 and 14 have show the above erroneous behaviour.I've also connected a different circuit to zone 12 while keeping the original connection of zone 4, but the problem (between zones 4 and 12) remains.Any idea what's happening and how it can be fixed? (all connections are hard wired)Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-19, 02:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are these zones on the base panel and a zone expander board; or are they on a system with zone doubling enabled? I suspect the latter.

Need to know which to advise you, accurately.

Old 04-24-19, 05:31 AM
Many thanks. We have 16 zones and the board has zone ports 1-8, on each port there are two wires, so I would imagine that there is zone doubling with resistors.

Old 04-24-19, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, this is a zone doubled system zone 4 should have a resistance of 3.74K ohms, and zone 12 should have a resistance of 6.98K ohms.

Most likely, one, or more, of the contacts or motions on the two loops is either failing, or has developed a high resistance in the micro switch or relay that's inside, thus changing the circuit resistance (which is fairly narrowly set for zone doubling to work).

The best way to pin this down, is to eliminate one contact or motion at a time, jumping the wires at the device together, and see if the behavior stops. When the circuit is stable, then you know which contact or motion to replace.

There is an outside chance that the field wiring is damaged, but that's a long shot.

Old 04-24-19, 10:47 PM
Many thanks. This is very helpful.