Replacing 6150rf with 6160rf on vista20p - programming question

Old 04-24-19, 07:58 PM
Replacing 6150rf with 6160rf on vista20p - programming question

Hello,

This is a topic, which perhaps has been covered before, but I can't seem to find the exact information I am looking for by searching the forums.

The system is 9.12 Vista20p with 6150rf keypad with 3 wireless zones along with a number of wired ones. I have a new 6160rf I need installed so I can do zone programming. I understand how to wire and address the keypad, that is straight forward. What I don't know is does the new wireless transceiver need to be somehow registered with the panel and will the 3 active, wireless zones need to be programmed to connect to the new transceiver.

I have found this thread on the forum: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...ad-6160rf.html but it only talks about wiring and addressing the new keypad. It makes mention there are active wireless zones, but not mention on the programming needed for the new transceiver and reconnecting the zones.

Hoping someone out there can advise on a process for this type of swap. Thanks in advance!

Nik

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-19, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The transmitter information is stored in the main V20p control. The wireless receiver is just an interface, so the transmitters should normally be seamless.

Old 04-25-19, 07:23 AM
Thanks for your reply! If I am interpreting this correctly, you are saying that there is no programming on the wireless side of things when installing the new keypad?

Old 04-25-19, 02:30 PM
That's correct. All programming resides in the Control Panel and is unaffected by changing a Keypad and/or RF Receiver, as Ron said.

Old 04-25-19, 03:37 PM
I’ve swapped a 6150RF for a 6160RF in order to get more wireless zones. I can confirm previous posts stating that the programming is in the panel and not in the keypad.

Old 04-25-19, 05:11 PM
That is great. Thanks so much to all of you!

Old 04-26-19, 06:10 AM
So here is the thing. Looking over the install instructions for the new keypad, there are steps for turning on the receiver and setting the address for it, which is programmed into the panel. The address for the initial receiver on a v20p should be 00 according to what I am reading. This is where the initial confusion came from and was the reason for the post. At any rate, I understand quite a bit more about it now than before and will be trying the swap on the weekend. Hopefully there wont be need for coming back here and asking for more help. Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Old 04-26-19, 05:17 PM
Ran into something else. I am trying to find out the address for the current keypad, the 6150rf, but when I hold 1&3 it doesn't display it's address. Instead it starts blinking dE and I have to enter the user code +1 do clear that, otherwise it goes into alarm. After I clear that, the display starts showing 100 Check until I enter the user code + 1 again. I have no clue why it does that or what does it mean. Everything I read says that I should just be able to go to the key pad, hold 1&3 for few seconds and it should show me its address. What am I missing here?

Old 04-29-19, 01:37 PM
I have completed the keypad swap. It is as described by all who responded. All that is required is to wire the keypad and, address it on the panel, enable and address the receiver. Thanks again for all replies.