Upgrade Vista 20P system for IP/cell monitoring

Old 04-26-19, 03:47 PM
Upgrade Vista 20P system for IP/cell monitoring

We have a Vista 20P system that I installed and programmed in 2008 (when our Vista 10SE was fried by a storm). Weíve had monitoring from Protection One the whole time, and theyíve been acquired by ADT relatively recently.

Weíre long overdue to give up our ďlandline,Ē and I want to go to IP/cell monitoring. Landline in quotes b/c our phone went to VOIP a couple years ago, and the alarm still works, though weíve had FC warnings from the system periodically.

I really want to maintain control to change/add to our system as needed. Iíve added wired and wireless zones, as well as added/programmed clickers for my wife and daughter. It seems like adding new comm.s hardware might be a better deal to DIY, at least initially, than to pay someone else to plug in a module.

My research says that an option for adding an IP/cell communicator is the iGSMV4G-TC2 (~$175). Iím a little nervous looking at these b/c itís unclear whether every vendor includes the PROM chip update that Iím sure I need (if Iím right, ours is a 5.2 chip). I also noted that it looks like the ability to do new 4G communicators goes away soon, so Iím wondering whether thereís an LTE option that hasnít jumped out at me.

But maybe this all goes back to monitoring. I worry that having Protection One (now ADT) update our system will mean they try to reprogram so that I canít access it (think there may still be a boot option for resetting the programmer code). I also want to shop the monitoring- Ackerman is a local company that historically has had low prices (word of mouth from friends) and to others that yíall recommend. Iím also open to other ideas- whether Iím dumb for thinking I should DIY the hardware and maintain current monitoring (move to IP) until I can shop the cell monitoring and get a good deal.

Thanks for your input. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-19, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
f your local guy is an Alarmnet dealer so that they can enroll the radio for you, then that's really your best choice.

Old 04-26-19, 07:32 PM
I would dump protection one and switch to alarm grid. They sell the updated prom chips and 4G LTE commutators you will need. The monitoring is also much more cheaper than protection one as well and you will get total connect functionality as well. You just hook up the 4G comm to the keypad bus and alarm grid should program and enroll you to the total connect network.

Old 04-29-19, 11:40 AM
Alarm Grid looks like they're $35/mo for internet plus cell monitoring (what I want). That sounds similar to what Protection One charges (going off recollection from when I first looked at this way too long ago).

If I talk to other Alarmnet dealers (I see Ackerman is on their list), do you think I could still buy and hook up the communicator if it's cheaper to do that than have a service call?

Old 04-29-19, 01:59 PM
I have an alarm system with a Vista 20P panel, 4g cell communicator, wireless receiver, and all wireless zones.I recently dropped my local alarm company after nine years. Fortunately, I was able to keep all of the equipment and they reset the installer code to default. I am currently self-monitoring with Total Connect 2.0 through GeoArm for $13 a month. This covers the Total Connect service, cellular service, or dual monitoring (IP and cellular). If I find that my wife and I can't properly self-monitor along with our camera system, I can add central station monitoring for another $5.

My plan was to go with dual communicator once Honeywell released an IP/LTE version. Well, they just came out with one. It's the LTE-IV dual communicator through Verizon and available on GeoArm's website and Alarm Grid's website. They are expecting to come out soon with the AT&T version. I'm kind of holding off until then because I'm not sure which one I will go with.

Old 05-15-19, 11:20 AM
I ended up getting the LTE-IV and a prom chip from another vendor and getting service from Alarm Grid. I was a little anxious, but going with the best price for the parts saved me ~$50 compared to getting parts from Alarm Grid also. Getting set up over the phone with Alarm Grid was painless. I had to do a little rearranging in my panel (pigtails to reduce count of wires landed under terminals), but that was relatively straightforward too.

My local company (Ackerman) had to send out a sales rep rather than quote me on the phone. Their options were to 1) replace the board (not just the chip) and add communicator for headed toward $500 and get no-warranty $35/mo service; or 2) pay $99 for the hardware with $42/mo service.

ADT quoted me (phone) a similar price to buying parts/service from Alarm Grid. I realized after the fact that I hadn't asked enough questions, and I felt like there had to be some catch (chip replacement, TC 2.0 coverage, etc). The rep also said they only do cell monitoring, not dual cell/IP. When I cancelled my service yesterday, they put me through 3 layers of account people trying to entice then scare me into keeping service. They said I needed to give them 30 days notice and pay them $45 to cancel. We've had their service for (gulp) 18 years, so I said hell no. Still had to email to put it in writing.

I have one TC 2.0 question- we have a couple of older button remotes (5804). When I was programming users on the web, the slots for these two (31, 32) didn't show up as users to be programmed. A newer one (5834, I think) in slot 30 did. I wasn't sure what was going on there- remote age, slot, or what. The old remotes do show up on the app with the slot number when I arm/disarm with them. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help/input.

Old 05-15-19, 11:38 AM
That might be a software bug with the total connect web portal. I only have one key for programmed for my system. The remote age shouldn’t matter as they basically the same key fobs just the newer one have encryption