Honeywell wireless receiver mounting clips

Old 04-28-19, 07:20 PM
Honeywell wireless receiver mounting clips

I have a Honeywell Vista 20P alarm system with a 5881 wireless receiver, which is installed in its plastic housing outside of the panel. I am looking at installing the receiver inside the panel, but don't have the assorted mounting clips that came with it and can't find a replacement source. Anyone out there with the provided red and black clips that you won't be needing?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-19, 08:10 PM
I think I have a couple, but I'm away from home and won't be back for several days at least.

I hope someone else can chime in here.

In a pinch, you can also finagle it with plastic bottle caps or something. It's not like it's going to be on display.

Old 04-28-19, 08:20 PM
i think its best to leave it outside the plastic housing. i had mine installed inside the panel with the antenna sticking out and found that the coverage isn't as good as the receiver outside in its plastic housing. but f you want it mounted in the panel i might have the clips i could check and get back with you.

Old 04-29-19, 06:58 AM
Thanks. I thought I would give it a try.

Old 04-29-19, 09:35 AM
Completely wrap your cellphone in aluminum foil and see how well it works. From a practical radio frequency standpoint, putting an antenna in a metal box is unwise.

Old 04-29-19, 11:53 AM
Even though the majority of the two antennas are going to be outside of the panel, it will still have that much affect on reception? I'm surprised some of these companies like Alarm Grid that have made instructional videos showing installation inside the panel haven't made mention of that. I'm on the fence about this and will reconsider if there will be poor reception.

https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/should...-metal-alarm-s

Last edited by SevenPointSupp; 04-29-19 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 04:19 PM
Lots of systems work with the RF Receiver being inside the panel can, as long as the antennas are installed correctly outside.

The poorer reception usually comes with the house being large and if the Control Panel isn't central enough, and/or is mounted low in a basement, or next to a lot of metal, especially furnace & ducting. I've seen CPs mounted low under basement steps, 2 feet off the floor and only a few feet from a furnace (and its nexus of ductwork). I wouldn't try an RF Receiver there.

I personally prefer to place the RF Receiver high and central (although never in an attic) for max reception; but if the house isn't big, it isn't that critical.

Most people think of house "size" in square feet, but that's almost meaningless here. A house can have a large square footage, but if it's square, no point is that far from any other point. If the house is rectangular and narrow, it can have a small square footage half the size but have points farther farther apart than the square house. If a house is L-shaped, and the Control Panel is located in one end of the "L", in the basement, it can have _earth_ between it and many other points in the house. All these are factors to consider in placing your RF Receiver. I especially like to get it out of the basement (if any) and away from air ducts.

In your case, your house might be fine with the RF Receiver in the Control Box.
It does make it easier to install and work on.

SevenPointSupp liked this post.
Old 04-29-19, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the additional info. I have about a 1800 sq. foot L-shaped home and my panel/receiver are in a locked hallway closet about midway in the house where the 90 degree turn is. I should be fine. Now if I can just find some mounting clips.

Old 04-29-19, 07:26 PM
SevenPointSupp, I sent you a private message.