Wire FSA-210BST Smoke to ADT Safe Watch

Old 05-04-19, 09:29 AM
Wire FSA-210BST Smoke to ADT Safe Watch

Recently had the basement remodeled. Need to put up the smoke detector. Upstairs smoke detector has red on + black on - and blue/yellow wires unused. Resistor between + and - posts. Middle + post unused.

Downstairs I don't have a resistor, but I put red on + black on - blue/yellow wires unused. Doesn't seem to work. ADT won't help me over the phone they want $107 to send someone out. Ridiculous.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-19, 11:48 AM
Upvotes Received: 11
Not enough context. Where did "the" smoke detector you need to put up come from? Is it a smoke detector that you (or somebody) removed from the basement during remodeling and now needs to go _back_ on the same wires? Or a smoke detector that you bought on eBay that you're trying to install newly in the basement to replace a former heat sensor? Or what exactly?

It appears that you're trying to use existing wires there, and apparently from your description of the upstairs smoke, your system is wired with 2-wire smokes, but if that's the case, then the blue and yellow wires shouldn't be taped up; they should be connected, _IF_ you're putting back a previously-wired smoke; and assuming the smokes were previously wired correctly.

The smoke upstairs is the End-of-Line smoke and is wired differently from any other smokes on the zone. All smokes before it, i.e., _all_ other smokes in the system should have both Negative (-) wires connected to the (-) terminal and the incoming (from Control Panel) Positive wire connect to one Positive (+) terminal and the other outgoing Positive wire (to other smokes) connected to the other positive terminal. I don't think it matters which (+) terminal is which, (Incoming or outgoing) as long as both (+) wires are connected to different terminals. You will need to use a multimeter to see which wires are (+) and (-). Red is generally (+) and black (-) but there's no standard color-coding for blue and yellow.

EDIT: Duh, just realized that a multimeter won't tell you which of the blue & yellow is (+) or (-). I must still be half-asleep. Assuming that blue and yellow was used, you'll need to look in the Control Panel and find the wires coming from he Fire Zone (Zone 1 if it's a Safewatch 2000 or 3000) and follow those wires to first cable. Red and black with will the smoke's Incoming and green and blue will be its Outgoing. See which colors are connected to which, i.e., is red connected to blue or yellow, etc. That will give you the polarity.
All this, of course, is _ASSUMING_ that I'm guessing right about the feed-and-return wiring configuration.

All this is _assuming_ that you are RE-INSTALLING a smoke that was disconnected (without bothering to label the wires) and the wire ends taped during the renovation....? If that's not the case, this would be the time to give us more context.

When you say, "Doesn't seem to work", do you mean the Fire Zone (which I assume is Zone 1) displays as Fire Trouble or some such on the keypad? Specific symptoms can be important.

EDIT: Correction: From your description, the upstairs smoke isn't strictly wired correctly, although it _will_ work as wired but the resistor end and wire should not be twisted together, as I've seen some techs do. The red wire should be connected to the outside (+) terminal and the (+) side of the EOL Resistor should be connected to the center (+) terminal. I leave to your discretion whether to change anything there after you get the bsmt smoke back in the system, _assuming_ that's what you're doing.

Look at this cutsheet for the FSA-210BST and find the wiring diagram.
https://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=16755

In my description above, concerning all 4 wires, I was _assuming_ that the bsmt smoke you're dealing with had feed-and-return wiring to the disconnected smoke, using all 4 wires & colors. However, it's also possible that there were originally two 4-wire cables (like the one in your picture) to that smoke and the remodelers just didn't pull both of them back down when they'd finished the drywalling the ceiling. Sadly, that happens now and then. Again: It's _really_ helpful when we have the context of your problem. Are there any other smokes in the house that you can look at to check how they're wired?

P.S. Sorry if I made all this too complicated. If you can find one more smoke, one that hasn't been messed with, it could clear things up.

Last edited by ChosunOne; 05-04-19 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-05-19, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the help so far. Both smoke detectors are existing, originally installed by ADT. Remodeling removed basement detector and taped up all 4 wires. No picture beforehand. I untaped red & black assuming (incorrectly) I would connect similar to upstairs. Upstairs doesn't use blue or yellow wire. However downstairs these wires have been striped (I've since removed the tape) which is different than upstairs. So I am assuming these wires are necessary downstairs. One to be paired with the red, the other with the black?

Panel does show trouble with Fire Zone 1. Including a picture of upstairs detector wiring and downstairs panel wiring. Can get a better pic if there is something specific I should be looking at.

Thanks,

Attached Images   
Old 05-05-19, 10:40 AM
In your picture of the Safewatch Pro 3000 Control Panel, I can't see the wires from Terminals 8 & 9 = the Zone 1 Terminals. However, it's a fair bet that a red wire is on T8 and black on T9. If that's the case, then follow the red & black wires from T8 & T9, to the quad (4-wire) cable that they're part of, so that you find the yellow and blue wires that they share the cable with. That will probably be the cable that goes to your basement smoke sensor. Again, I'm guessing that there are only two system smokes in the house.

Still in the Panel, follow the yellow and blue wires from the cable to where they're spliced to another pair of wires, probably red and black. Whichever of the yel & blu is spliced to red, is the positive(+) wire; and whichever is spliced to black is the negative(-) wire.

Go to the basement smoke and, _leaving the red & black where they are_, connect the (yel/blu) positive wire to the center terminal, and the (yel/blu) negative wire to the same terminal as the black. DO NOT twist the two negative wires together.

If I've guessed wrong about the splices in the Panel, let me know. Any pix of how wires are spliced starting from T8 & T9 should include the wires and cables involved, _separated out_ from all the spaghetti in the background.

dewy220 voted this post as helpful.
Old 05-05-19, 06:20 PM
Your explanation was flawless, thank you. Saved me a hundred bucks on a service call!

Old 05-05-19, 10:55 PM
Glad to hear it! Thanks for letting us know the outcome.