DSC LCD5501Z programming issues/ideas

Old 05-06-19, 04:30 PM
DSC LCD5501Z programming issues/ideas

Hi all ... appreciate you reviewing my post. I'm stumped. I have a PIR that has gone bad on my ancient LCD5501Z system and all the programming info in the book and online hasn't helped me remove the faulty PIR and register the new one. I'm a bit afraid I'll seriously screw it up more if mess with it too much. I tried the *8, installer code 5555 (got the beeps), 804 (got the triple beep) .... but, unlike the videos, this keypad doesn't display "Enter Section" or anything else. It's just blank after the "804." I tried entering 004 after "804" because I thought that's the type ... still nothing on the display. So I tried 026 after the "804" thinking that's the assigned location ... and again nothing. Both times I just did the "##" exit ... hopefully not screwing anything else up. I'm thinking I have the cheap keypad and I don't get the other prompts like the ones online, so I have to do this blind. Pretty scary for someone inexperienced as I. But on the bright side .... I can follow directions fairly well! Anyone have some advice? Step by step instructions? Thanks again. Don

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-19, 11:41 PM
From the manual for the LCD5501Z:

The LCD5501Z is
compatible with the following DSC security systems:
• PC580/PC585 • PC5008
• PC1555/PC1565 • PC50XX
• PC1555MX

Your LCD5501Z is a keypad, not a system. The "system name" is based on the Control Panel (of the 5 listed above). You should be able to find the model number printed on the door of the CP steel cabinet.

Might help also if we knew the zone number (just makes talking about it easier since we don't have to talk around " Zone XX") and what kind of PIR you're trying to register. If the PIR is hardwired, it doesn't need to be re-registered, the PIR itself only needs to be replaced.

Is it a wireless PIR? If so, model number wouldn't hurt.

Old 05-08-19, 02:37 PM
Thank you for your reply. The control panel is a PC1555 and the PIR is a wireless WS4904P. The number that comes up on the LCD is "OPEN 26" with error codes 5 and 6. According to what little info my books give me, "5" is Zone Fault and "6" is Zone Tamper. I'm pretty sure the PIR is defective as I have replaced the battery with a brand new one and get the same errors.

Old 05-08-19, 05:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, when looking at this model keypad, treat the row of small numbers at the top as if they are the LEDs on a LED model keypad.

Installer manual: https://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13789

It does sound like your transmitter has failed.

Check the model number, carefully. The older models were 900mhz, the newer ones are 433mhz. You have to get the one that matches your receiver.

Old 05-08-19, 06:45 PM
Ron, can you remember what year DSC made that sudden and unexpected switch-over from 900MHz to 433MHz? At the time I was working for a company that specialized in DSC panels, and I remember it was a major PIA getting 900MHz part replacements, and that the newer 433MHz sensor/transmitters had a phenomenal failure rate for the first few weeks; but I can't recall the exact year all that happened.

This is mostly personal curiosity because of something else going on at the time, but I wish I could remember exactly when that switchover took place.

Old 05-09-19, 02:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I want to say it was around 2004-2005. I remember it being pretty sudden.

Old 05-09-19, 07:29 AM
Yeah, that's _about_ when I thought it happened, but I wasn't sure. I'll probably eventually come across an old pay stub or something that will pinpoint the year for me.

Thanks.

Old 05-09-19, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Somewhere in my stash of scanned documents, I have the dealer notice they sent out, because I had to use it numerous times to convince customers that we weren't jerking them around to make them spend money.