Upgrading DSC 16 zone LED keypad with RFK5500

Old 05-07-19, 12:19 PM
Upgrading DSC 16 zone LED keypad with RFK5500

Greetings from a new member, and this is my first post.

I have a DSC Power 832 system with 16 zones, and two LED keypads. I want to add some sensors in the garage, but don't want to run wires, so upgrading the keypad with RFK5500 that has a built-in wireless receiver. When I purchased my house about 15 years ago, there was an existing security system, but the alarm company that I wanted to use replaced it with DSC 832. Recently, I had a technician from the alarm company come to my house and change the installer code for me.

I plan to upgrade the keypad myself, and add sensors for the garage as well. Here are couple of questions that I have. Thanks in advance.
  1. After I replace 16 zone LED keypad with the new RFK5500 keypad, I assume that I won't have to program the existing zones since it's an existing system. Can someone please confirm?
  2. Should I partition the garage sensors? I'm going to start with two door sensors. It's an attached garage. Partitioning makes arming and disarming a bit inconvenient since I will have to do twice each time. I don't know any benefit for partitioning.
  3. I have two existing LED keypads. I'm going to replace the one downstairs with the RFK5500 (with built-in RF receiver) and the one upstairs with PK5500. Should I replace both keypads at the same time, or doesn't matter?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-19, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Partitioning is only useful if you have something like a guest suite that you want to be able to arm/disarm independently of the rest of the house. Normally, for residential installs, it's not really a useful feature.

The zone programming is contained in the alarm control, and the keypads are just interfaces. You will have to re-run the system supervision command, because the keypads are registered to the system. Since you are exceeding the display capacity of the existing keypads, it's better to go ahead and replace the second keypad, while you are at it, and get it over with.

Old 05-07-19, 02:03 PM
Thank you Ron for the reply. Can you please elaborate on "re-running the system supervision command"?

Old 05-07-19, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Installer manual: https://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13802

Page 9: *8 [installer code] 902

Old 05-07-19, 03:05 PM
Thanks Ron. Do I need to re-assign keypads? If I do, I'd assume that I need to choose "0" for 1st digit as Global Keypad and assign "1"/"2" for 2nd digit.

Old 05-07-19, 05:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, you need to address the keypads. No, don't set them as global; that's really only for partitioned systems. For a single partition system all keypad addresses should be 1X.

Old 05-08-19, 07:06 AM
Thank you very much for your help.

Old 05-08-19, 01:33 PM
Just finished replacing two keypads. Installation went smoothly. Special thanks to MrRonFL.

Next step will be adding two wireless sensors for garage.