DSC 1550 Alarm Panel Bell turn off

Greetings!

I have an DSC 1550 Alarm Panel.

The issue is Bell turn off after
the programmed 4 minutes, although the
door is still open.
In others systems the Bell do not turn off
until the door has been closed.
Please, can someone tell me, How do I program so that the Bell does not turn off while the sensor is
activated?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-19, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums from South America.

As far as I know...... you can set the bell cutoff time but it doesn't depend on the zone being reset.
It silences the audible regardless of panel status.

[3] Bell cut-off time (001 to 255 minutes) This value determines the time the bell / siren will sound before automatically turning off. The factory default bell cut-off time is 4 minutes.

oswaldus liked this post.
Old 05-12-19, 03:07 AM
Back as late as the '70s and '80s, some brands into the 90's (if I have that right), systems could be set to time out for a door/window open, then would reset if the d/w was closed; but would re-trip the Bell if the d/w was still open.

Unfortunately, a lot of Users who were not on premises, especially commercial/institutional, would not make a trip in the middle of the night unless the responding police reported finding signs of a break-in--which led to a lot of sirens and bells going all night until the owner/manager/opener showed up in the morning. A lot of those businesses/institutions were close enough to residences to cause a lot of complaints; the police would have to ignore bells & sirens once they'd been checked out. Sometimes after howling/ringing for several hours, it was a broadcast to any thieves in the vicinity that here was a place that the police were going to ignore for the rest of the night.

I personally had to drag out a ladder and replace a siren high up on the wall of a house in the mid-90s (the system was installed in the 80s) after the system had tripped in the middle of the night while the family was out of town and nobody could be reached who was willing to respond with a key and turn off the system/siren. After two hours of listening and making complaints--no, the police can levy a fine but they can't forcibly enter a home and disable the alarm--so the neighbors assembled and pieced together a long pipe and beat the siren off the wall. Police were notably absent, and I don't know if any legal action was filed against any neighbor.

My guess is that nobody in the neighborhood ratted anybody else out. This happened in Georgetown, Washington DC, by the way.

The 70's through the 90's was an era when false alarms were the alarm industry's biggest technical problem, so systems that didn't have a strictly mandated shut-off protocol were a real problem. More to the point, by the 80s, false alarms had become one of virtually all local police forces' problems in urban and suburban locations.

This led to a lot of legislation and regulation at the local level, of how alarms had to be installed; and a strict burglary cut-off timer is mandatory in most of the USA. In Montgomery Co., MD, NW suburbs of DC, it's even illegal to install an outside siren/bell. Sirens & bells already installed are grandfathered in, BUT, if they fail, it's illegal to replace them in that county.

I'm afraid I've had some chronically snotty customers that I took secret glee in telling I couldn't fix their dead siren; and that I had to report it dead. Yes, Montgomery Co. keeps track of homes with grandfathered sirens or bells. Or so I've been told.

The bottom line is that ALL modern alarm system sold in the USA (and probably Canada) are designed to time out regardless. If police notice any siren/bell that continues to sound after, say, half an hour, they might cite and fine the owner for it. The legally allowed sounding time varies from county/city to county/city, but it's probably not longer than that, most places. I believe In Montgomery Co. it's 15 minutes,

oswaldus liked this post.

Last edited by ChosunOne; 05-12-19 at 03:15 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-13-19, 10:16 PM
PJmax
Thanks for your reply!
I'm going to try it.

Old 05-13-19, 10:21 PM
ChosunOne
Thanks for your detailed explanation.