is time for a new garage door opener?

Old 05-15-19, 07:43 AM
is time for a new garage door opener?

I've been trying to program my Sears garage door opener for quite some time after I changed the batteries in the remotes. It's dated 01/98.

A few days ago I saw where the light next to the program button flashes when I pushed the program button. Took me a while to understand the YouTube instructions and even see where the light was since my panel looked different from the videos. But the light flashed...I'd press the button on my remote while standing right next to the opener, the door would open....I'd go outside and the remote would not work. Wash, rinse, repeat. But at least was able to get the light to flash.

So today I found the DIY instructions...but now absolutely no light flashes when I push the program button, way longer than the 15 seconds recommended.

The garage door opens fine when I push the main control button on the wall.

Is it time for a new opener?????

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-19, 08:35 AM
Maybe you just need a new remote (?) They go bad

Old 05-15-19, 08:44 AM
Maybe, but it concerns me that the light won't flash when I push the program button. As I said, it did flash a few days ago.

I assume the light should flash when the program button is pushed?????

Old 05-15-19, 09:00 AM
Maybe it's confused now. Try unplugging it for a little while.

Old 05-15-19, 09:43 AM
Thanks, I will try that...it made me laugh...I know I'm confused...wish I could unplug myself for a while!

Old 05-15-19, 10:17 AM
Don't we all wish we had a "reboot" button sometimes.

Old 05-16-19, 07:30 AM
I unplugged the opener for several hours yesterday and plugged it back in. This morning no joy, no lights flash at all when I press the program button.

It is over 20 years old. I'm ready to throw in the towel and get a new one unless you have other ideas?

Old 05-16-19, 08:29 AM
No one else is speaking up. I think you did your best to save it. There are some pretty cool options today.

Old 05-17-19, 06:50 AM
I honestly would upgrade the garage door opener as new models have rolling code technology and encrypted RF signals so thieves canít use signal grabber devices and open your garage Door. Thereís also models with WiFi capabilities where you can open your garage door with your phone too. And also have door open reminders as well