Honeywell Vista 20p with Arduino

Old 05-19-19, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell Vista 20p with Arduino

Hello everyone,
Ground inquiry.....
I have a Vista 20p with a Honeywell 4220 expander. I plan on using the built in relays on the Honeywell 4229 expansion board to drive as trigger input signals to an Arduino. The Honeywell 4229 is powered by Honeywell AD12612 auxiliary power supply and also has a jumper ground wire from terminal (DC -) to terminal 4 on the main 20p board. The Arduino will have a separate power supply. I will be using the Normally Open and Common Terminals from both relays on the 4229 to complete a low(ground) trigger signal from the Arduino. My question is do I need to somehow tie a jumper ground from the Arduino to the 4229 Expansion board or/and to the main 20P main board? Is it even needed since I am only using the "switching side" of the relay?

In the future, I also plan on possibly utilizing the 20p's onboard output 12v triggers to energize a 12v relay which will then also probably have the Normally open and common leads connected to an Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Will I need to tie ground together from the onboard to the Arduino or Raspberry Pi as well since this is actually outputing 12volts from the onboard?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-19, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't recognize the 4220 expansion module. Could that be 4219 ?

The 4229 has two on-board form C relays. When you see "form C" in the description.... the relays are stand alone. They share no common connection to the system. You don't need to connect your grounds.

You may consider using a 4204 four channel relay board with four form C relays.

If you use the multi functional wiring on the alarm panel..... there will be a wire for 12v+ and another for the output function. Keep in mind that the two on-board outputs trigger a "pull down to ground" type arrangement and based on the load they don't completely go to ground. You may consider using these to run sensitive isolation relays and then to your boards.

Last edited by PJmax; 05-19-19 at 10:33 AM. Reason: replaced common with 12v+
Old 05-19-19, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello Pete,

Ahh yes thanks for catching my typo, I meant to type 4229 not 4220.
Ok thats good to know that if I use those form C relays on the 4229 grounding considerations are not needed.

As far as utilizing the Vista 20P onboard triggers, I am a bit confused, for example if I use output 17(Output trigger terminal 1) and 12V+ Aux(Output trigger terminal 3) to eneragize the coils on the relay as a trigger, all I would need is like a 12V optoisolator relay like this one? 12V Optoisolator Relay

Will the same relay type be for Output 18(output trigger terminal 5)? I assume that I will not be using the GND signal(Output terminal 4) for grounding at all in both cases?

Old 05-19-19, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
I had written common. That was incorrect. It should be the function pin and 12v+.
That relay will work perfect;y.