DSC PC 5010 Board not charging

Old 05-27-19, 05:12 PM
DSC PC 5010 Board not charging

Hey everybody hoping you can help me out. I have a DSC Power 832/PC 5010 home alarm system for about 12 years and now its giving me trouble. I am getting a trouble light on the panel and upon checking the trouble it reads "Low Battery". I have taken another exact battery 12V 4.5mah out of my neighbours panel to see if it will correct the problem and after 24 hours still the same problem. I have checked the voltage at the AC transmittor and reads 13.72 volts. Can someone tells me where on the PC 5010 panel charging comes from....maybe its a bad electronics component?

Further if it cannot be fixed I am willing to replace the panel and would be looking at a more upto date unit. One that I can get texts from and possibly with a webinterface or app. Currently the system is self monitored.

Thanks in advance for your help.

R

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-19, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The transformer should measure 16.5vAC or just above that.
The AUX terminals (term 3 & 4) should measure 12vDC.
With the battery connected to the panel.... you should measure better then 13vDC on the battery.

Name:  pc5.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  67.5 KB

Old 05-28-19, 04:30 PM
Thanks Pete for taking the time to responding. I checked the output of the transformer and measured 27.9 vAC. I also checked the aux posts and got 13.72 vDC and at the battery while connected I got 13.72 vDC? Is it possible that the battery that I got from my neighbour is defective? It works fine at his house or at least it did until I borrowed it?

R

Old 05-28-19, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
That's a tad high for a 16.5v transformer.
13.72 is good on the battery. Shows charging is ok.
13.7 on the AUX buss is also a little high but may be ok.

Old 05-28-19, 05:55 PM
Ya my thoughts originally after your post. This transformer has been with the panel since day 1. I attached a photo of it. Should I just buy a battery and see?

Attached Images  
Old 05-28-19, 07:57 PM
Um, Rob, if you've had the system for 12 years and it still has its original transformer, I can pretty much guarantee that the transformer in your picture is NOT the transformer for your DSC system. That transformer would have burned your control panel out long before now. That looks more like a transformer for your heating/cooling system (thermostat power), or for a doorbell, or something else. Not for a home security system.

Look around for a wall wart in a beige or black plastic casing, plugged into an electrical outlet. Sometimes the outlet is hidden behind furniture or in an obscure location. On one occasion, I had to empty a pantry cabinet to find the outlet. The cabinet had been added after the system was installed, and the outlet/transformer was forgotten until a trouble years later. But I assure you, the transformer is almost certain to be a plug-in type in an outlet.

Old 05-29-19, 05:47 AM
Thanks but I can assure you that this the transformer that provides power to my board as I installed it after buying the unit second hand. If you think that may be the issue I can replace it with a plug in transformer but not sure if the exact model to buy. Can you help?

thx
r

Old 05-29-19, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
It's really surprising that panel hasn't been cooked using that transformer.

You can buy a replacement for that one or a plug in type.
16.5 AC transformers

RobsDSC liked this post.
Old 05-29-19, 12:18 PM
I'm surprised too. You don't have to use a plug-in transformer, that's usually just the fastest way to install an alarm system and alarm installers don't have to be licensed electricians with a plug-in.

In your case, since you already have a transformer wired in place, I'd buy the same kind of transformer to replace it, just different specs, i.e., 16.5VAC, 40VA.

RobsDSC liked this post.
Old 05-29-19, 03:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is the caveat...If you have been running this system on this over-voltage transformer all this time, there is a pretty fair chance that you may have damaged the rectifier circuit built into that alarm control board. You may be getting a nominally correct voltage at the battery and aux power terminals, but the actual voltage regulation may be shot.

RobsDSC liked this post.
Old 05-29-19, 06:31 PM
Thanks guys for all your responses, now I am stumped more than ever on what to do. I brought the battery back to my neighbour yesterday and now he has the trouble light. I checked the voltage across the battery (not connected) and it measured 10.96 V. I checked it again tonight almost 24 hours later and it measures 10.45V? Could it be just coincidentally that the battery was on its way out just before I borrowed it? Puzzled as to my next steps, my options I guess are:

1) Buy a new replacement battery;
2) Buy a new replacement battery and/or transformer;
3) Assume I killed it and buy a new HS 2016 board and (something to communicate with it)?

As I stated thanks for your help and any direction you can provide. I am in Canada and would need a good source for parts.

Thanks

Old 05-29-19, 07:42 PM
I think we've established that you definitely need a new transformer and a new battery.

As Ron said, it's a pretty fair chance that the PC 5010 board is cooked too. I wouldn't trust it now, even if it lapsed into seeming to work again.

Unless you're looked for some upgrade feature your PC 5010 didn't have, you don't actually need to upgrade the board; you can buy a used-but- perfectly good replacement PC5010 off eBay or other source, in which case you wouldn't need to replace any peripherals, like whatever keypad(s) you current have; or wireless (RF) devices or whatever might be incompatible with the new Neo panel.

TBH, I haven't worked with any new DSC panels for the last 10 years since I retired, so I don't know what older stuff is compatible with it; but I'm pretty sure your existing keypads wouldn't be, at least.

Final thought: If you're hesitant to buy a used panel, I look at it this way. You've been using a used panel up until now, and are only replacing it because it doesn't work any more. I've had good luck with equipment off eBay, especially control panels. Most old alarm panels get replaced, not because they've gone bad, but because the Users want new toys and features not available on the old stuff; or because a dealer told them they needed it even though their existing panel was perfectly functional.

That's just my $0.02 worth.

Old 05-30-19, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are going to replace the alarm control; go with the PC1832, which is the direct replacement for your system, and is compatible with all of your existing keypads. The HS models use a completely different set of keypads, etc, and are not cross compatible.

duanefauntleroy liked this post.
Old 05-30-19, 05:23 PM
Thanks MrRonFL for the information. I have sourced a new battery and transformer and will see how I make out with that. If that doesnt work I will take your suggestion and get a PC1832 which should save me some grief. While I am waiting for my parts I am exploring the EnvisaLink EVL-4EZR board to allow me to receive email and text alerts with my existing system.

Any other similar recommendations I should consider?
Thanks
R

Old 06-04-19, 05:09 PM
Ok guys I received my parts today, and new 16.5VAC transformer and new battery. I first replaced the transformer and saw that the panel powered back up. I then installed the new battery and it measured 13V DC, under load. I get 13.7V across the AUX bus as well. The keypad still shows a low battery even though I reset it. If I remove the power supply from the board and try and run it just on the battery the keypad goes dark.

One last test I did was removed the transformer power to the board and with the battery connected checked for VDC at the power supply BUS (red black) and it measured 0.6V.

Is it safe for me to conclude that the power supply on my pc 5010 board is gone?

Besides buying a new PC 1832 board as recommended is there anything else I could try?

Thanks
R

Last edited by RobsDSC; 06-04-19 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-04-19, 06:27 PM
Further what is the difference between the DSC PC1832NK and the DSC PC1832?

Old 06-04-19, 10:28 PM
Sometimes a new battery has been on the shelf a long time and may need time to recharge before it's up to par. Give the new battery overnight (maybe 12 hours at least) charging on the system and try again.

Old 06-05-19, 03:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The "NK" means "no kit", Just the board and the enclosure.

Old 06-05-19, 07:52 AM
Does it matter which version I buy? I am seeing DSC PC1832 v4.1 or v 4.6 etc...

Thanks for your help guys

Old 06-06-19, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The newer firmware is always the better choice.

Old 06-10-19, 08:05 PM
The new PC 1832 board I ordered should arrive tomorrow. I have the PK5500 full message keyboard which I know is compatible. But I also have an additional keyboard at my backdoor which I attached a photo. Can someone tell me if it will be compatible?

thanks
R

Attached Images  
Old 06-11-19, 02:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the model number is LCD 5500 or 5501, then yes, it's compatible.

If it's a LCD 600, then I'm not sure.

Old 06-14-19, 05:34 PM
Ok just to close out this thread I received my new transformer, battery and PC 1832 board. I installed it and it works fine for the first day then in testing the dialer I set the alarm off and it called my cell as before. But now I cannot get rid of the Trouble light. *2 tells me its a communication error. I went into section [350] and changed it from 04 to 06 which is residential dial but still cannot clear the trouble light. I disconnected the power AC and Battery and it seems to have reset it. Is there anything else I need to do to the communicator? I also installed the eyezon Envisalink V4 and it works great as well.

Old 06-14-19, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nope, changing it to residential dial should have done the trick. A quirk of DSC panels is that the only way to clear that comm fault error without connecting to a central station receiver, is to power cycle. You just started out with the wrong format selected.

Old 06-16-19, 05:53 PM
Excellent thanks to everyone in this thread for all their help.

Cheers
R