Best position for Ring Flood Lights

Old 05-28-19, 06:18 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best position for Ring Flood Lights

So I just purchased the Ring Floodlight Camera for my garage area, which is currently unlit. I have access to the garage attic, so I can get electrical anywhere I need to.

What I can't figure out is the best position for it.

My garage has a gable roof with a eave sticking out over the door. There's not much room between the gable vent and the roof of the eave, there's also not much room under the soffit above the garage door (photo 1).

Do you think it would do OK in either place, or would the field of view be very limited by the roof / height?

The second option would be off to the side of the garage door (photo 2). What are your thoughts and reasoning?

As a third option, do you think mounting it to the gable soffit (at the crest, centered) would be do-able?

Name:  g1.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  g2.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  57.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-29-19 at 11:06 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 05-28-19, 06:22 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Does it have enough resolution to be place more than a few feet away from the faces you want to be able to identify? That might determine where it can go.

Old 05-28-19, 06:30 PM
T
It's advertised as 1080HD video. I also have the Ring video doorbell, but I want this more for scene surveillance. I'd like to know when people are coming in the driveway, maybe not so much to recognize faces, but maybe get a license plate if needed.

I don't know if it could be mounted to the soffit - the advertising pics all show a vertical mount (like on a wall). I'm hoping someone here has experience with this dilemma.

Old 05-29-19, 05:48 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu_7yPY7y7w
Here is a video that shows how to modify the fixture to allow for horizontal mounting.

To be able to recognize license plates, I would mount lower. Mine is mounted below a second story window above my garage, and while the camera is clear, it is difficult to make out the plate even when zooming in.

Old 05-30-19, 02:39 PM
T
Thanks - I actually came across that video before. The comments beat him up a bit because it appears you can just adjust it to accomplish the same thing. We'll see.

Old 06-01-19, 03:25 PM
T
FWIW, I returned them

For what it's worth, I returned the ring floodlight - I just don't think I have a good position to mount them in. Maybe that explains the lack of suggestions in the comments.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: