Vista-20se and cannot clear a fault 06 Basement Window

Old 06-18-19, 02:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista-20se and cannot clear a fault 06 Basement Window

I have an Ademco Vista-20se and cannot clear a fault 06 Basement Window. The system was installed 20 years ago.

Does fault 06 refer to a zone? That is my assumption.

I have three windows in the basement and all are hardwired with adhesive mount magnetic contacts. The rectangular type that mount on the outside. I have the recessed circular types on some windows in my house. The magnet was missing from one window so I replaced it but that didnít fix the problem. I then replaced the entire pair and the fault remains. The other two look fine by visual inspection. I have some honeycomb blinds that are pretty close to the sensors if that may be an issue.

It has been some time since we have armed the system and I can only assume the basement windows are labeled correctly. With the blinds they are not easy to get to and the blinds are not easy to remove.

What are some other steps I can take to troubleshoot?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-19, 04:54 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, Fault 06 means that zone 6 is showing as Faulted/Open. A missing magnet will cause that. Are you sure you replaced the missing magnet in exactly the same place, with a magnet of the same size/strength?

I'd recommend putting the system on CHIME and use a use an extra magnet--a bar magnet like the ones on your windows---and go to each window in turn and place the magnet on the contact to insure it's closed. Then see if removing the extra magnet causes the zone to Chime. Place the magnet on the contact so that it _pushes_ at the mated magnet already there. That increases the magnetic field acting on the contact. If removing the extra magnet causes a chime, then your installed magnet is too far away, or misaligned, or too weak.

If you can't get the zone to close, there may be a problem with more than one contact, or a wire may have come loose. A picture of the contact&magnet pairs on the windows would be helpful.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...your-post.html

Old 06-18-19, 05:43 PM
Thanks ChosunOne. I have plenty of extra magnets so I just replaced one that was easy to get to and it seems to have cleared the fault. Good thing since the third one is on a window behind a front projector screen I installed for a home theater.

Now I'll test all the doors and windows, horns, strobes etc. and see if we can start using it again. I have a couple wireless adapters on two windows and replaced the batteries but can't understand why they weren't registering and alarm with dead batteries. It has been so long I may have disabled those zones for all I know.

Thanks again. Now I need to relearn the system.

Old 07-15-19, 04:17 PM
The fault is back for the basement windows and I've tested all three windows with new magnets. I am now also getting occasional faults from my office window.

Any additional trouble shooting steps I should take?

Thanks.

Old 07-15-19, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
If you can get the contact out of the window frame and have a bit of slack, simply strip, and twist the wires attached to the contacts together. If the zone closes, and stays stable, then replace the contacts with new ones. They are fairly inexpensive, and they can, and do fail, eventually.